REPOST: Guru Challenge

Scott M.

Can anyone give me any ideas on why VS.NET 2003 running on XP Pro. (P4's
with 1GB RAM) would take over 3 minutes to simply create a new ASP.NET Web
Application on http://localhost?

It seems that the IIS directory gets created right away, but it is not
configured as an application directory until several minutes go by.

Thanks,

Scott M.

Curt_C [MVP]

Doesn't for me... can open and create a new project quite quickly... < 1 min
for certain.
Sounds like something on your machine. Try your AV's active scanning
settings once.

WJ

Try disable Norton Anti-Virus software or any AV if you have them running.
These stuffs are nothing but a nuisance.

John

Kevin Spencer

You mentioned only a few f the variables involved in the mix. Here are a few
more:

Processor Speed
Running Tasks (including programs, services, and background tasks)
Disk Fragmentation
Anti-virus software
Registry size
Number of Environment variables loaded
Other memory-consuming issues (memory leaks, for example, which would lower
the amount of available memory)
Viruses, Trojan Horses, Spyware
BIOS

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Big things are made up of
lots of little things.

Guest

Processor Speed

2GHz
Running Tasks (including programs, services, and background tasks)

Minimal system processes
Disk Fragmentation

Brand new image
Anti-virus software
N/A

Registry size

Typical for corporate workstation w/Office
Number of Environment variables loaded
??

Other memory-consuming issues (memory leaks, for example, which would lower
the amount of available memory)

No other applications running (besides O/S)
Viruses, Trojan Horses, Spyware

Unlikely (these are corporate boxes that re-imaged frequently)

Up to date (brand new HP machines).

Guest

I know it's not supposed to take that long, hence my question.

Something on my machine?? Really, you think?

Christoph Wienands

Maybe VS.Net or IIS is trying to make a network request to some unknown
place and is waiting for a time-out. Active Directory and some windows
security are ideal candidates.

Christoph

Guest

I don't want to get into a flame war with you Curt. I provided as much
information as I thought was necessary in my post. It was your reply that
was useless information (i.e. sounds like you are having a problem - duh!).

Yes, I did try shutting down the AV.

Guest

Why would it do that if I'm attempting to make the new web project on the
localhost?

BTW: The project does successfully get built, it just takes several minutes
to happen. Also, I am logged on as an Admin.

Thanks.

Guest

....And, my account as well as the ASPNET account are members of the:

DebuggerUsers Group
VS Developers Group

Scott M.

This isn't just one machine, this is happening on all of our corporate
workstations. As I stated, these are brand new machines with beefy specs.

The machines are fast at everything they do, it's just that creating the web
application takes exceptionally long. Once the application is made,
everything sails.

Juan T. Llibre

Maybe your "brand new machines with beefy specs"
have "beefy specs" but not enough performance ?

My main development machine has a lowly P4 2.0 Ghz processor
and 512 MB ram, and is a clone built by myself (not a brand-name),
yet creating a web application with VS 2005 takes about 10 seconds.

With VS 2003 it took about the same time.

Scott M.

What does that even mean? The machines I'm talking about are (as stated
earlier in this thread) P4's/2GHz w/1GB RAM.

I am fully aware that the process "should" take just a few seconds (I have
been using .NET since early betas - 2001). I'm really not looking to find
out how quickly it works for you. I'm trying to find out why it's taking so
long for me and I'm telling you that the specs are not the issue.

Thanks anyway.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I'm telling you that the specs are not the issue.

That doesn't sound right.

All I'm telling you is that .Net, nor even VS.NET,
whether 2003 or 2005, have nothing to do with your problem.

I have another lowly, twin-800Mhz, 512 MB ram system,
which is even slower-performing than my main system,
yet it churns application creation in less than 15 seconds.

In fact, I have *never* heard of a problem like the one you describe
affecting normal, run-of-the-mill hardware running VS.Net/.Net Framework.

Make of those facts what you will.

If you wish to dispute that, please post your reasons for believing that
either VS.NET or the .NET Framework should be blamed, since with
slower, older, systems than yours, there's no problem here.

Scott M.

I really don't think you understand what I'm even saying.

I am NOT saying that the systems in question are performing slowly. I am
saying that ONE particular task is taking longer than it should. You
telling me that your system does the job in a short period of time does not,
in any way, mean that MY problem is specs. Not to mention that the systems
I'm talking about seem to be much MORE robust than the system you are
talking about. That, right there, is what tells me that this isn't a spec
issue.

I am quite sure that the problem is a software configuration issue. The
system is fast in everything that it does EXCEPT for the creation of the web
project. Since creating a web application involves VS.NET and IIS
communicating and the configuration of the two products configured properly,
it may be an IIS configuration issue, it may be a VS .NET configuration
issue, it may be a permissions issue (this is, after all, a corporate
desktop image I'm talking about). The point is that, with the years of
experience I've had with VS.NET, I'm pretty sure what specs. you need to get
good results and these machines have those specs.

Again, thanks for your help, but I don't think your suggestion is the
problem.