Request for compiler selection advice

Jeff Melvaine

I am running Windows XP on an IBM R50 laptop. All my recent professional
experience as a software developer was with the Ada language under Solaris
on Sun networks. My software development under Windows is in Python, which
I downloaded and installed without difficulty, running my applications in
the Windows environment. For my current application I need to interface to
a package available only as C source code, and the documentation for it says
that a good C compiler is required for Windows (yes, literally that
non-specific). I don't have a C compiler on my system, and most of what I
see on the net seems to presume a Unix environment. I need to get a C
compiler that I can install and use with a minimum of culture shock. A
freeware product would be ideal if feasible, but this is not essential.

Further details: the package to which I wish to interface is "nauty" (No
AUTomorphisms Yes), and there is also pynauty, a python interface available
as C source code.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mike Wahler

Jeff Melvaine said:
[...]

Both Microsoft Corp. and Borland Corp., the two
major vendors of Windows compilers, have free
versions available on their web sites. They're
both very good products.

www.msdn.microsoft.com
www.borland.com

-Mike

Simon Biber

Mike said:
Both Microsoft Corp. and Borland Corp., the two
major vendors of Windows compilers, have free
versions available on their web sites. They're
both very good products.

www.msdn.microsoft.com
www.borland.com

Both are good compilers, but if you're looking for a free IDE, Dev-C++
or LCC-Win32 are reasonable choices. Dev-C++ is designed to work with
(and can be downloaded and installed with) a Windows port of the unix
compiler GCC, called MinGW32. Or, if you want to develop inside a full
Unix-like environment, Cygwin is a useful collection of tools. Enter any
of those key words into Google for links.

Jeff Melvaine

Thanks to both respondents

Simon Biber said:
Both are good compilers, but if you're looking for a free IDE, Dev-C++ or
LCC-Win32 are reasonable choices. Dev-C++ is designed to work with (and
can be downloaded and installed with) a Windows port of the unix compiler
GCC, called MinGW32. Or, if you want to develop inside a full Unix-like
environment, Cygwin is a useful collection of tools. Enter any of those
key words into Google for links.

Walter Bright

www.digitalmars.com free Windows C, C++, D programming language compilers