Required and optional elements

Spaulding

I have an xsd specified as such:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
- <xs:element name="REQUEST">
- <xs:complexType>
- <xs:all>
<xs:element name="FIELD1" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="FIELD2" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="FIELD3" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

I was thinking that this would allow FIELD3 to be optional and that
FIELD1 and FIELD2 are required. I use JAXB to unmarshal from an XML
doc that does not have FIELD1, and it works. i would have expected an
exception. Am i doing this correctly?

Martin Honnen

Spaulding said:
I have an xsd specified as such:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
- <xs:element name="REQUEST">
- <xs:complexType>
- <xs:all>
<xs:element name="FIELD1" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="FIELD2" type="xs:string" />
<xs:element name="FIELD3" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" />
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

I was thinking that this would allow FIELD3 to be optional and that
FIELD1 and FIELD2 are required. I use JAXB to unmarshal from an XML
doc that does not have FIELD1, and it works. i would have expected an
exception. Am i doing this correctly?

In terms of the schema language one FIELD1 child element of the REQUEST
element is required and a validating parser should flag that as an error
if there is no such element.
Whether JAXB validates I don't know. You might want to ask in a Java group.