Requirement to have an ASP.NET website up and running

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SF, Apr 28, 2010.

  1. SF

    SF Guest

    Hi,

    I am new to ASP.NET design and programming. I am an MS Access database
    developer for my organization (for my LAN). Recently, my boss require other
    staff to start acessing to the database from the internet which is not
    possible for Access to handle this. I start researching and know that only
    ASP.NET could solve the problem. The first thing I want to know is:

    1 - How to enable user to access the project database from the internet
    (What I should have/update my LAN) for that porpuse)
    2 - How can I restrict the security (Can I use AD to limit user accessing to
    the project database)

    Right now, I have 2 server on a windows 2003 server, 1 database server (SQl
    server) , internet connection

    I would appreciate any comment from the post.

    SF

    SF, Apr 28, 2010

  2. 1) The Jet database (which MS Access uses) is not a good choice as the RDBMS
    in a web-based solution - it's just not designed for that architecture.
    Since you already have SQL Server, I would advise you to upsize the Jet
    tables to that platform and then add them to the Access solution as linked
    tables - you can still continue to use the Access objects (queries, forms,
    reports etc) if you like...

    2) How is your LAN connected to the Internet currently? Since the data needs
    to be accessible over the Internet, you will need to either move it onto a
    public website, or create an extranet.

    3) You can certainly use ActiveDirectory with ASP.NET / SQL Server. However,
    if you decide to move the whole thing to a public Internet site, this may
    not be the best solution.

    Since you're new to ASP.NET, I would strongly suggest that you get a copy of
    this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-ASP...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272441735&sr=8-7
    and work your way through it.

    Mark Rae [MVP], Apr 28, 2010

  3. Usually, it's recommended to separate the untrusted network (with a
    public web site) from the trusted network (LAN). Ask your system
    administrator about "DMZ" for more information. I understand your
    concern about security, but I think this is not the main problem here.
    Speaking about migration from the desktop MS Access to a web based
    application means, that we speak about totally new approach which
    would require not only user access, but also development and network
    configuration. You can't simply publish Access database using IIS and
    ASP.NET. Most likely you would need to "convert" Access forms to web
    forms for data entry and Access queries to web based reports.

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 28, 2010
  4. SF

    Andy O'Neill Guest

    Well I think the first thing to do is ask your boss how much resources he
    wants to allocate to servicing this requirement.
    Because it's far from trivial and I wonder if he appreciates this.

    Assuming you have no full sized rdbms implemented at the moment and you
    asked me how I'd service this request.
    You need a server to stick a database on and you need one to run IIS on.
    These could be the same one.
    I'd install sql express on the server and look into using the MS sql server
    migration assistant to convert the tables from access and copy over.
    Then copy your code mdb, point the copy at the new sql server database and
    connect to the tables.
    Get that working.
    I'd now have a more reliable back end storing my data - which is a good
    thing of itself.
    I'd then look at what functionality needs to be available remotely and from
    who.
    I'd use the asp.net membership provider and forms level security on asp.net.
    I might look at using silverlight depending on functionality.
    If you don't do web development already then silverlight is much more like
    windows development and you won't need to learn javascript and worry about
    maintaining state.

    Andy O'Neill, Apr 28, 2010