Resources for C# developer moving to Java

dwok

Hi All,

I have been a Microsoft developer most of my career. Most of my work
has been of the web variety using ASP.NET and C#. I would like to
learn more Java and explore the J2EE technologies. Can anyone suggest
resources (books/articles/etc..) for a C# developer looking to learn
more Java? I see a lot of resources for folks wanting to go from Java
to C#, but have yet to find something for those looking to move from
C# to Java. Thanks.

- dwok

Roedy Green

I have been a Microsoft developer most of my career. Most of my work
has been of the web variety using ASP.NET and C#. I would like to
learn more Java and explore the J2EE technologies. Can anyone suggest
resources (books/articles/etc..) for a C# developer looking to learn
more Java? I see a lot of resources for folks wanting to go from Java
to C#, but have yet to find something for those looking to move from
C# to Java. Thanks.

There are 20+ books on Java to C# but not a one I know of going the
other way. Perhaps one of the Java to C# books could still be useful.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

dwok

There are 20+ books on Java to C# but not a one I know of going the
other way. Perhaps one of the Java to C# books could still be useful.

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

Thanks Roedy,

That links looks like a good resource.

- dwok

Wayne

dwok said:
Hi All,

I have been a Microsoft developer most of my career. Most of my work
has been of the web variety using ASP.NET and C#. I would like to
learn more Java and explore the J2EE technologies. Can anyone suggest
resources (books/articles/etc..) for a C# developer looking to learn
more Java? I see a lot of resources for folks wanting to go from Java
to C#, but have yet to find something for those looking to move from
C# to Java. Thanks.

- dwok

I don't know if it will help you, but the new Java 6 edition of "Core
Java" (Just published) is crammed with sidebars for C++ programmers
moving to Java (related Java concepts and syntax to that of C++).
(I just checked out ch.5 on inheritance, which is a sample
chapter available as a PDF.) Cay Horstmann (one of the authors)
always seems to write good Java books.

(Personally, having recently purchased the Java 5 SE edition I think
I'll wait a year and get the Java 7 edition. I think I've bought this
book 4 times so far!)

-Wayne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

dwok said:
I have been a Microsoft developer most of my career. Most of my work
has been of the web variety using ASP.NET and C#. I would like to
learn more Java and explore the J2EE technologies. Can anyone suggest
resources (books/articles/etc..) for a C# developer looking to learn
more Java? I see a lot of resources for folks wanting to go from Java
to C#, but have yet to find something for those looking to move from
C# to Java. Thanks.

I think you will find the Java language itself very easy to learn.

1) Download and install JDK 1.6 (also known as 6)
2) Download and install Eclipse 3.3
3) Download and unpack the Java API docs (Java class library) - it
is HTML so you can view it with your browser
4) Get a standard Java book as reference - just pick anyone that
is recent and has good reviews at amazon.com

Then you will be coding Java in a few months.

JEE (previous J2EE) is a completely different matter.

You will need quite a bit to master that.

You will need:
* application server (I will recommend JBoss)
* book about servlets and JSP
* book about EJB's
* book about your web framework (I will recommend JSF but Struts could
still be a possibility)
* possible a book about Hibernate if you will use that
plus more

That may take years to master.

Arne

John W. Kennedy

Wayne said:
I don't know if it will help you, but the new Java 6 edition of "Core
Java" (Just published) is crammed with sidebars for C++ programmers
moving to Java (related Java concepts and syntax to that of C++).
(I just checked out ch.5 on inheritance, which is a sample
chapter available as a PDF.) Cay Horstmann (one of the authors)
always seems to write good Java books.

I agree. "Core Java" has been terrific right from the start. It doesn't
assume that you know C#, but it assumes that you know programming.

dwok

Many great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I think the Core Java book
may be a good choice for me.

- dwok

bbound

There are 20+ books on Java to C# but not a one I know of going the
other way.

Wise green man once said, "Once you start down the dark path, forever
will it dominate your destiny". I suspect he may have been referring
to precisely what you've just observed. ;)