Ruby app core dump on shutdown

Grant Schoep

So my work computers are down for part of the day I thought I would post
a question on a problem that I have been really trying to track down. I
have a Ruby/GTK that runs fine through out is operations. But will segv
and core on shutdown. This is an OS level core, not a "ruby core" where
it gives a Ruby like stack trace.

I'm using Ruby 1.9.2p-180(I was on older but tried to uprade) Running on
RHEL 5.4.

My basic question, I am very familier with debugging core files with gdb
on C/C++ applications, but of course the Ruby core files are not as
helpful.

My gut feel of this problem, is it is in one of my C extensions. But I
am wondering how some of you have dealt with really tracking down what
is going on. I have the feeling the problem is in garbage collection,
since it happens after my last statement in my application.

I run in VERBOSE and DEBUG, bot nothing stands out. I've also ran under
valgrind, but its really hard to tell what a normal ruby warnings and
not. I've even tried to build up a "Good valgrind Ruby suppression" file
by making apps that I know have absolutly no problems.

So anyone have a tip or pointer or other cool tool to really try to
figure out what/where the problem is. This application runs perfectly
fine under Ruby 1.8.6, but when I went up to Ruby 1.9.2, made the small
neccesary chages, it will crash at shutdown.

Thanks

andrew mcelroy

So my work computers are down for part of the day I thought I would post
a question on a problem that I have been really trying to track down. I
have a Ruby/GTK that runs fine through out is operations. But will segv
and core on shutdown. This is an OS level core, not a "ruby core" where
it gives a Ruby like stack trace.
I can has coredump in form of gist (github gist.. or pastie) please?

It's all pure speculation until we can see what this coredump says.

Andrew McElroy

Grant Schoep

Roger Pack wrote in post #994110:
does gdb help at all in this case?

This is where I don't think gdb is helping me out, the first point where
shows is

(gdb) where
#0 0x8744568d in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x8744568c

All the rest of the threads are in varying states of
#0 0x40000402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

I have attached a "thread apply all where"
that shows all the threads

I'm loading the core file via

"gdb /prod/ruby/bin/ruby core.12345"

Where /prod/ruby/bin/ruby is the ruby interpreter the ruby script was
using.

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6139/gdb.where.txt