Ruby Project Recommendations

Brett Brown

Hi, I'm new to ruby and I am considering contributing to one or two
small to medium sized projects. A top 3 list of recommendations would be
a great help.

I also would find it helpful if some would offer some coaching on how to
search for ruby projects.

Just in case this request is out of line I did try to read the FAQ
mentioned in the new post headline. Link is broken... Ruby Documentation
page had nothing obvious... Goolge assumes you know what you are looking
for and I don't in this case...

Thanks in Advance,

Brett

Daniel Finnie

I would search the RAA (http://raa.ruby-lang.org/) and RubyForge (.org). If
nothing came up there, I would Google "#{topic_name} ruby".

As for possible projects, I would enjoy a library that solved equations:
Solver.solve "3x**2=x**2" #=> x = 0

Dan

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Brett said:
Hi, I'm new to ruby and I am considering contributing to one or two
small to medium sized projects. A top 3 list of recommendations would be
a great help.

I also would find it helpful if some would offer some coaching on how to
search for ruby projects.

Just in case this request is out of line I did try to read the FAQ
mentioned in the new post headline. Link is broken... Ruby Documentation
page had nothing obvious... Goolge assumes you know what you are looking
for and I don't in this case...

Thanks in Advance,

Brett

I would say the most "bang for the buck" is to be obtained by
contributing to the rather large project(s) seeking to define the syntax
and semantics of the various implementations of the Ruby language, using
automated techniques. I'd recommend staying away from the
"small-to-medium" projects and joining one that's fairly large.

Matt Todd

My recommendation is to start using some tools, find some things that
you find deficient or lacking and contribute as you go along. It's
more important to contribute useful things to useful projects, though
not always the most fun. You can always find something interesting, of
course.

Matt Todd

ThoML

I would search the RAA (http://raa.ruby-lang.org/) and RubyForge (.org).

BTW it seems that many rubyforge projects no longer register at RAA
which I think is a pity. I personally consider this fragmentation of
information anything but an improvement.