Ruby Web Hosts

David Ross

Yes yes. The code overview that is done regularly by
most of the BSD developers is great. I sit and watch
all the BSD channels and developers. Some sit on irc..
some complain, some compliment etc, BSDs tend to share
code between each. Really the biggest gap is
installation and a bug with a release that makes some
people just have "newbie farts" :) so they install
linux and beat the bsd community with "bsd is dying"

Thats not the worst part though. In the past few
years, there have been many linux people attacking the
bsd community. ex. on the freebsd mailing list,
someone forged a email to make it look like it was
from one of the major developers saying they were
taking linux support out. :(

Though the email forged from Theo to Dillon was just
halarious. It was a April fools joke :p

--David Ross

--David Ross

--- Lennon Day-Reynolds said:
Jamis,

Don't let David's unexpected outburst reflect
negatively on the BSD
community at large. I highly recommend all of the
major *BSD variants.
Are they better than Linux? It depends on what your
needs are. BSDs do
tend to be more conservative in their development --
that means more
stable APIs and filesystem layouts, though it can
also sometimes slow
innovation.

The regular code audits of their source trees (esp.
by the OpenBSD
folks) give me at least a somewhat more confidence
in their security,
though I also have little doubt that their relative
obscurity compared
to Windows and Linux contributes a great deal to the
scarcity of
remote exploits.

Most importantly for our purposes here, though, they
all run Ruby
flawlessly, and make a great platform for deploying
Ruby-based
servers.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

David Ross

I didn't say it was crap. I said FreeBSD was more
secure than linux.

--David Ross
--- mark sparshatt said:
David said:
hush linux bitch. I don't even have time for people
like you.

David Ross wrote:

--- Matt Lawrence <[email protected]>

wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, T. Onoma wrote:

Please recommend Ruby-supporting web hosts. I

am

currently looking at the

following providers in this order of

preference:

You might also want to check out some of the

folks

who do User Mode Linux
hosting. Basically, you get root access to

your

own

virtual linux system
and can install just about anything you want.

If you are going to get a setup like this, you

might

as well go secure and get a FreeBSD jail

system.

Don't

want to get cracked ;)

To what extent is UML less secure than a BSD

jail?

not to even start it. #1 BSD is more secure and

can be

used as a good desktop or server. (*not: how you
install software doesn't judge it as a desktop)

[...]

Please take your enormous dumps of crap elsewhere.
I suggest some
advocacy group on USENET.

http://messenger.yahoo.com
Weren't you the person who said you wouldn't
tolerate people calling
widely used software crap? Is it just okay when it's
you doing it or was
it a different David Ross?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Sean O'Dell

That is so rude, low-class and so off-topic it boggles my mind. What exactly
is your business that you can treat people like that?

Sean O'Dell

--- Mikael Brockman said:
wrote:
[...]

I meant it when I said I didn't have time. I am
reading line and lines of SOAP library. --David Ross

wrote:
[...]

Jamis Buck

From now and henceforth, any mail from David Ross is being filtered
directly to my trash box. "I don't have time" is a lousy excuse for
insulting people. If someone says you are being offensive, and you
*acknowledge* it, then you are completely without excuse.

To reduce the number of flamewars on ruby-talk, I would encourage
everyone to just give David a wide berth and let him rant into /dev/null.

- Jamis

David said:
I meant it when I said I didn't have time. I am
reading line and lines of SOAP library. --David Ross

That is so rude, low-class and so off-topic it
boggles my mind. What exactly
is your business that you can treat people like
that?

Sean O'Dell

hush linux bitch. I don't even have time for
people

like you.

--- Andreas Schwarz <[email protected]>

wrote:

[...]

Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download
now.

http://messenger.yahoo.com

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

.

--
Jamis Buck
(e-mail address removed)

David Ross

/me watches the ignorant people throw addy in
killfile.

14:30 <dross> Oh well, your loss

--David Ross

--- Jamis Buck said:
From now and henceforth, any mail from David Ross
is being filtered

wrote:

[...]

"I use octal until I get to 8, and then I switch to
decimal."

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

Sean O'Dell

Who are you kidding when you speak like that to people and then come back with
"I meant it when I said I didn't have time. I am reading line and lines of
SOAP library"? As if you meant it as blunt honesty and nothing more. That
is sheer nonsense and you're fooling only yourself. Take your nastiness off
the ML, please.

Sean O'Dell

wrote:
[...]

Dick Davies

* David Ross said:
hush linux bitch. I don't even have time for people
like you.

David, will you please realise this is a mailing list and not IRC?

You regularly fly off the handle like this, and it reflects badly on the
whole list and the BSD coomunity too.

We've had run ins before and I've given you the benefit of the doubt,
but you seem to be the only aggressive poster on this list.
Please lay off.

David Ross

You are welcommed to ask NaHi and the email sessions
we have been having. I recently finsihed a program
that doesnt work for some odd reason anymore after a
month. I don't know what it was or it even could be I
was using the release, who knows. I'm being honest.

--David Ross

--- Sean O'Dell said:
That is so rude, low-class and so off-topic it
boggles my mind. What exactly
is your business that you can treat people like
that?

Sean O'Dell

hush linux bitch. I don't even have time for

people

like you.

--- Andreas Schwarz <[email protected]>

wrote:
David Ross wrote:
--- Matt Lawrence
wrote:
[...]

I am being aggressive so I am not the one in the
corner getting punched at hard. I would rather be the
agressive one than the one that keeps getting hit at
like every linux nazi tries that tries to beat BSD
users in the head. And I meant it, I just don't have
time. Only short replies

--David Ross

--- Dick Davies said:
David, will you please realise this is a mailing
list and not IRC?

You regularly fly off the handle like this, and it
reflects badly on the
whole list and the BSD coomunity too.

We've had run ins before and I've given you the
benefit of the doubt,
but you seem to be the only aggressive poster on
this list.
Please lay off.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

Sean O'Dell

The phrase "hush linux bitch. I don't even have time for people like you" is
not how you tell someone you are busying coding something and don't have time
to properly respond to them. You are making a huge mistake if you think
people around here are stupid enough to buy such a poor excuse for what is
clearly low-class, abusive behavior.

Right now, I doubt anyone thinks you're anything but nasty and abusive. If
you don't like that image, you should work to change it, not plow it over
with lousy excuses. Own up to it, apologize and work hard to get along.

Sean O'Dell

Mark Hubbart

Your lengthen your replies greatly with vitriol. Here's a shortened
version of what you said, sans vitriol:

----
To what extent is UML less secure than a BSD jail?

A few reasons:

1. exploits: Compare the number of kernel exploits between linux and
bsd.
2. age: BSD has been around longer. It makes sense that mature code is
more secure.
3. exploits part 2: There are more exploits in the base utils of linux
than in bsd's

I used to use linux, but I switched to bsd after getting tired of all
the security patches. bsd is much easier to support, and I can run
linux apps in an emulation layer, only occasionally needing to to any
porting.

I suggest this site for those who disagree with me:
http://www.blahblah.com

Basically, I use BSD because security is my prime concern.

Also, I hate how Linux mixes installed packages with system packages in
the /usr dir... it makes them difficult (impossible) to tell apart.
----

there. that was your entire email, shortened greatly by the lack of
abrasive words. please consider posting that way in the future. it'll
save you time, and make it so you might actually have people on the
list who will read your messages.

And before you classify me as a "Linux bitch", I'll mention that I
greatly prefer using BSD variants myself. Especially a FreeBSD variant
called Darwin. It has such a nice desktop environment :)

Jim Weirich

T. Onoma said:
How funny! I took you suggestion and did a google search. Guess what
showed up? Jim Weirich's blog, http://onestepback.org. Ha! Turns out
he has a entry on the subject of UMLx, b/c his blog's on one.

All well and good, except when I went to the site I got a "connection
refused error" :( Is that indicative of the current stability of UMLx ?
Or, Jim, is your blog down for other reasons?

The site is back up now.

I think there is a corollary to Murphy's law that states when things _do_
go wrong, they will do so at the worst possible moment. So of course,
when someone points out that the site is a UML system is the when the
system decides to go down.

jimweirich.umlcoop.net is one of around twenty virtual linux systems
running on a single hardware box located somewhere in Cleveland, Ohio.
The members of the co-op pooled their money to purchase the server and to
pay for the used bandwidth. David Coulson maintains our UML setup keeps
the UML installation up to date. (David is a member of the co-op and is
active in the User Mode Linux community). The co-op members themselves
are responsible for maintaining their own virtual linux system.

The up side of this arrangment is that spreading the cost of the hardware
and bandwidth over 20 individuals keeps the cost fairly low. But is also
means that we don't have a 24x7 support staff with access to the hardware
for those rare times physical access to the machine is required. Those
are the trade-offs.

I can definitely recommend a UML based system. You have root access so
anything you want to do with the box is pretty much up to you. I am
hosting several domains, running a webserver, and using it for a mail
server. I'm also running an instance of instiki as a CMS for my daughter.

The advantage of the UML approach is that you can do anything you want.
The disadvantage is that it is _you_ who has to do everything. If you
would rather not spend time managing your own apache setup or your mail
service, then you would probably would be happier with a more packaged
service.

David Morton

David said:
I meant it when I said I didn't have time. I am
reading line and lines of SOAP library. --David Ross

Then stop spending time wasting the bandwidth of all these other people
with your useless drivel. Just don't post if you are so busy. I know 3
year olds that speak more politely and intelligently than you do.
Whatever reasons you give for your petty adolescent outbursts are
meaningless and worthless. I don't care how much you may think of
yourself, but outbursts like that will get you pegged as a child, and
then you will be treated as such.

There have been times that I thought I'd give you the benefit of a
doubt, because you do occasionally write about some technical detail
that almost sounds profound. "Hush Linux bitch" is NOT one of those
profound statements.

Could a list operator ban his postings? this is just wasting bandwidth
and time. And it seems such a waste to David Ross's precious time, I
think it would be a win-win situation.

At the very least, I think a spamassassin rule to tag any email with his
name in it as junk would be very welcome. Too bad it still has to waste
my bandwidth before SA can get ahold of it. :(

Lloyd Zusman

David Ross said:
I am being aggressive so I am not the one in the
corner getting punched at hard. I would rather be the
agressive one than the one that keeps getting hit at
like every linux nazi tries that tries to beat BSD
users in the head. And I meant it, I just don't have
time. Only short replies

Wait a minute ... could you please name the "linux nazi's" here by whom
you are allegedly "getting punched"? I don't recall anyone in this Ruby
forum who made any comments against *BSD and in favor of Linux.

Before I continue, I want to make it clear that I use FreeBSD and I
think that it's a great OS. And I'm embarrassed that someone who
behaves like you is publicly associating yourself with it. So you can't
call me a "linux nazi".

The only negative statements I have seen people here make towards you
consist of attempts get you to behave more civilly here, and more like
an adult. If I missed something, please enlighten me.

The reactions you are getting from people here have nothing to do with
Linux or *BSD, and everything to do with how you immaturely misdirect
your aggressiveness towards people who are saying nothing at all about
the *BSD family of OS's.

If you think that everyone who criticizes your childish behavior is
someone who is attacking *BSD and promoting Linux, then you are
delusional.

David Ross

--- Lloyd Zusman said:
[ This is an auto-generated, courtesy copy of a
message that I've
also posted to the gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general
newsgroup. ]

David Ross said:
I am being aggressive so I am not the one in the
corner getting punched at hard. I would rather be the
agressive one than the one that keeps getting hit at
like every linux nazi tries that tries to beat BSD
users in the head. And I meant it, I just don't have
time. Only short replies

Wait a minute ... could you please name the "linux
nazi's" here by whom
you are allegedly "getting punched"? I don't recall
anyone in this Ruby
forum who made any comments against *BSD and in
favor of Linux.

If I recommend any bsd, at most there are more than a
few people bashing it. I might have bashed some on
freenode for getting freebsd over linux. At least I
always won them and helped them set it up personally.
Before I continue, I want to make it clear that I
use FreeBSD and I
think that it's a great OS. And I'm embarrassed
that someone who
behaves like you is publicly associating yourself
with it. So you can't
call me a "linux nazi".

I don't mind what OS you use just as long as the
attitude is not 'troll non true sense' like I often
have to deal with.
The only negative statements I have seen people here
make towards you
consist of attempts get you to behave more civilly
here, and more like
an adult. If I missed something, please enlighten
me.

Nope. I am a certified asshole. I have the papers to
prove it.
The reactions you are getting from people here have
nothing to do with
Linux or *BSD, and everything to do with how you
immaturely misdirect
your aggressiveness towards people who are saying
nothing at all about
the *BSD family of OS's.

they didn't say anything because I smashed it all in
the trash compactor before the BSD bashing even
started.
If you think that everyone who criticizes your
childish behavior is
someone who is attacking *BSD and promoting Linux,
then you are
delusional.

Nope. There are a couple valid points. I just won't
talk nicely because I always get bashed on by lies and
romurs of how BSD performs.

--David Ross

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

Carl Youngblood

It would be nice if it were possible to ban certain users from the
list. The biggest problem I see with it is the news gateway. If it
were a regular email list, we could always ban these offensive posters
with ease. There seems to be a general consensus from all the rest of
the group on this one.

Jim Weirich

T. Onoma said:
[...]

Hal Fulton

Carl said:
It would be nice if it were possible to ban certain users from the
list. The biggest problem I see with it is the news gateway. If it
were a regular email list, we could always ban these offensive posters
with ease. There seems to be a general consensus from all the rest of
the group on this one.

The gateway is the problem, indeed. Anyone in the world can post.

Up to now, there has never been any need to ban anyone.

The only good thing I can say about this is that it is probably a sign
of the growth in popularity of Ruby. Eventually it is bound to attract
script kiddies and warez d00dz and every variety of individual.

Hal

T. Onoma

It would be nice if it were possible to ban certain users from the
list. The biggest problem I see with it is the news gateway. If it
were a regular email list, we could always ban these offensive posters
with ease. There seems to be a general consensus from all the rest of
the group on this one.

TO ALL INVOLVED: You've usurped my thread!!! No offense, but I advise laughing
at Ross' foolish bravado and not bother with replies. (Honestly, if you step
back and read his stuff, he's a riot! But not worth fussing over.)

Be cool hunny bunny,
T.