RubyCocoa on MacOS X Tiger

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Joseph Michaels, May 27, 2005.

  1. There isn't a RubyCocoa package available for Tiger yet. This
    wouldn't be much of a problem except the package for Panther is
    (rightfully so) compiled against Ruby 1.6. It works, but not with 1.8
    stuff. Obviously compiling it is in order.

    ...except compiling RubyCocoa from source fails when the config step
    reaches the wrapper generator:

    cd src/objc/cocoa; ruby gen_cocoa_wrapper.rb
    /usr/include/stdarg.h:4: inclusion of /usr/include/stdarg.h nested
    too deep
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/
    NSObjCRuntime.h:65: undefined type, found `va_list'
    cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
    basic mode
    NSObjCRuntime.h
    /usr/include/stdarg.h:4: inclusion of /usr/include/stdarg.h nested
    too deep
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/
    NSObjCRuntime.h:65: undefined type, found `va_list'
    cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
    basic mode
    NSAffineTransform.h

    This continues ad nauseam until it reaches NSObjCRuntime.h:65, and
    then it just... stops. I ran it again with the debugger and found
    that by breaking and hitting continue (c), it did continue. This
    happens several more times.

    I don't know the Ruby debugger well enough to do an analysis more
    detailed than that, but there's more. 'setup' and 'install' seem to
    work, except that when you run a RubyCocoa app it says:

    dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _init_AppKit
    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/RubyCocoa.framework/Versions/
    A/RubyCocoa
    Expected in: flat namespace

    dyld: Symbol not found: _init_AppKit
    Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/RubyCocoa.framework/Versions/
    A/RubyCocoa
    Expected in: flat namespace

    And promptly exits due to a SIGTRAP.

    Rummaging around in RubyCocoa.framework's code, I found an external
    reference to init_AppKit(). My C skills are fairly limited (and Obj-C
    for that matter, hence my interest in RC). So.. the wrapper generator
    failed to grab this, maybe? Maybe more?

    Has anyone managed to get RubyCocoa to successfully compile and work
    on Tiger?

    j.m

    Joseph Michaels, May 27, 2005

  2. Joseph Michaels

    AlexG Guest

    Not much help for you I guess, but RubyCocoa compiled and installed
    fine on my clean install of Tiger. Got a couple of warnings, but
    nothing serious.

    AlexG

    AlexG, May 27, 2005