    of no real interest to the ruby community, but is needed by a few people
    where I work.

    TIA.

    Joel VanderWerf, Jun 12, 2004

  2. It sure is.... in the future.

    If you have all the gems you want installed, then you _can_ serve them
    up. Just run gem_server.

    Then, *if* you can get other people to include
    http://your-machine:8808 in their remote "sources", they will be able
    to install the gems from your machine.

    Hopefully one of the other RubyGems gurus can answer that *if*. I
    mean, you could hack it into
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sources-0.0.1/sources.rb, but there might
    be a better way.

    Gavin

    Gavin Sinclair, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Joel VanderWerf

    Chad Fowler Guest

    There isn't a better way yet. It's been a desired feature for a while
    that hasn't reached the top of the list. It's incredibly simple to
    implement, so we could probably get it in for the next version.

    Obviously, the idea behind gem_server was to make it easy for people
    to serve their gems--specifically in a peer-to-peer kind of way (for
    example, at a conference or a hacking session).

    Chad

    Chad Fowler, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Sounds good. For the time being, I can use Gavin's hack, or just stick
    with the old install.rb.

    It would be nice, in the big picture, to be able to have several mirrors
    of the main public gems repository, so we'd have some insurance against
    the recent downtime problems that affected other ruby web sites. Maybe
    the gem command could automatically update its mirror list every time
    you connect with the main repository.

    Joel VanderWerf, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Joel VanderWerf

    Chad Fowler Guest

    That's the idea. It's not hard to implement (we designed with that in
    mind). Just hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. Look for it
    in an upcoming release.

    Thanks,
    Chad

    Chad Fowler, Jun 15, 2004