Run JSTL 1.0, Struts *-el tags, under Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0

Discussion in 'Java' started by rbondi, Aug 3, 2007.

  1. rbondi

    rbondi Guest

    We've just upgraded from Weblogic 8 (a Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 container)
    to Weblogic 9 (2.4/2.0).

    To avoid editing a ton of JSP pages, I want to keep our struts and
    other *-el tags working by simply running everything as if it were a
    Servlet 2.3 environment.

    I tried doing these two things together:
    1) Using the JSTL 1.0 jstl.jar and standard.jar Jars, instead of the
    1.2 ones;
    2) changing the deployment descriptor web.xml to specify 2.3 by using
    <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
    Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
    instead of the 2.4 directive.

    But my Struts *-el tags are still not working: they do not parse EL
    placed in their attributes.

    For example, <html-el:eek:ption value="${foo}">gumby</html-el:eek:ption>
    produces <option value="${foo}">gumby</option>, instead of evaluating $
    {foo}.

    It seems that making web.xml specify 2.3 simply stops the container
    from parsing EL on jsp pages, but it doesn't stop it from killing
    struts *-el tags.

    Can anybody suggest how else I could get these tags working, so I
    don't have to migrate a zillion pages to Servlet 2.4?

    TMIA,
    /r:b:

    rbondi, Aug 3, 2007