Run JSTL 1.0, Struts *-el tags, under Servlet 2.4/JSP 2.0

rbondi

We've just upgraded from Weblogic 8 (a Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2 container)
to Weblogic 9 (2.4/2.0).

To avoid editing a ton of JSP pages, I want to keep our struts and
other *-el tags working by simply running everything as if it were a
Servlet 2.3 environment.

I tried doing these two things together:
1) Using the JSTL 1.0 jstl.jar and standard.jar Jars, instead of the
1.2 ones;
2) changing the deployment descriptor web.xml to specify 2.3 by using
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
instead of the 2.4 directive.

But my Struts *-el tags are still not working: they do not parse EL
placed in their attributes.

For example, <html-el:eek:ption value="${foo}">gumby</html-el:eek:ption>
produces <option value="${foo}">gumby</option>, instead of evaluating $
{foo}.

It seems that making web.xml specify 2.3 simply stops the container
from parsing EL on jsp pages, but it doesn't stop it from killing
struts *-el tags.

Can anybody suggest how else I could get these tags working, so I
don't have to migrate a zillion pages to Servlet 2.4?

TMIA,
/r:b: