Run Remote App from Web Page

Greg55305

I need to be able to start an application on a client machine from a web
page. I am in a controlled corporate environment so modifying browser
security settings is not the issue although I am hoping to be able to use the
Trusted Sites section of IE's security settings. I am hoping to avoid using
ActiveX if possible. In detail, the web page needs to build a command line
that launches the remote application passing it command line parameters. Is
this possible to do with JavaScript or maybe even Silverlight? I have
explained the issues with this to my business users, but they are adamant
this functionality exist...

Raghupathi K

I need to be able to start an application on a client machine from a web
page.  I am in a controlled corporate environment so modifying browser
security settings is not the issue although I am hoping to be able to use the
Trusted Sites section of IE's security settings.  I am hoping to avoid using
ActiveX if possible.  In detail, the web page needs to build a command line
that launches the remote application passing it command line parameters.  Is
this possible to do with JavaScript or maybe even Silverlight?  I have
explained the issues with this to my business users, but they are adamant
this functionality exist...

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() (6 overloads)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start.aspx

By default, ASP.NET runs its worker process with a weak account.You
will need to grant "run executable" rights to this account.

David

I can't see how that will run an application on the client side.

In the past, I have created a .bat file on the server and linked to it as a
download file. Let them download it and get them to click run instead of
save. Will this be a suitable compromise?

Alternatively, research how some of these trojan horse writers exploit
loopholes in IE, but expect that method to be blocked in the future.
--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

[...]

Konstantin Salavatov

You may achieve this by deploying some small "starter" application by
ClickOnce. It can start anything you want.

Kostya