Run script from asp.net

Goffin

Hello,

I have the following problem.

I have a webapplication written in asp.net and a SQL-Server database.
The webapplication has a public and a private part. The users for the
private part come from an oracle database. I also have a linked server
in my SQL-Server to the oracle database.

I have to synchronise the users in my webapp with the users from the
oracle database. This needs to happen every month and has to be started
manually by pressing for example on a button in the website. But the
problem is that it are over 100000 users that need to be checked and
inserted or updated. So when the button is clicked it starts
processing, but after a while it gives a timeout.

Does anyone know how to start a function by clicking a button on a
webpage, and then leave that function and render the page instead of
waiting for the function to be finished and then rendering the page.
Something like an one thread that can run on the server, and has been
started by the webapp.

Allready a lot of tanks

Christophe

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

you can start a background thread, but its not the best approach. In your
case, I'd create a SQLAgent job that imported the users, and have the web
page start the job. You could also have a web page query the job status, so
the users could if it was running, completed or failed.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)