Running 32 bit java, tomcat etc on 64bit WIndows OS

zigzagdna

If I have Windows 2003 OS which is 64 bit, can I install 32 bit java,
Apache tomcat etc on it without any problem. I know on HP UNIX 64 bit,
32 bit application runs without problem, I would think same is true on
Windows 2003 OS.

I am assuming I will be able to hav elarger hepa memory e.eg. for
Java. With 32 bit OS, maximum java heap memory is limited to around
1500M. With 64GB I am hoping I can get 3GB to 4GB. I know 32bit java
canno access more than 4GB, but I should be bale to have heap memory
up to 4GB.

zigzagdna

There have already been a number of relevant discussions here.  You can
find them like this:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/search?q=gro...

As far as the specific questions, the short answers are:

    32-bit programs run fine on 64-bit Windows, for the most part.
Java should be fine

    If the JVM has the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE executable flag set, you
should be able to get up to almost 4GB on 64-bit Windows

There are always things in the process address space taking up room
other than the heap, so you'll never get the full 4GB.  But you can do a
lot better than 1.5GB on 64-bit Windows, for an application with the
/LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag set.

For applications that do not have the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag set, you
can experiment and see if setting it works, but it's a potentially risky
thing to do.  I think most applications should work fine like that, but
if you're not the developer of the application, you never know when
someone's done something screwy with a pointer variable.

Pete

Thanks a lot for quick response.

Roedy Green

If I have Windows 2003 OS which is 64 bit, can I install 32 bit java,
Apache tomcat etc on it without any problem. I know on HP UNIX 64 bit,
32 bit application runs without problem, I would think same is true on
Windows 2003 OS.

You will likely want both 32 bit and 64 bit Java installed. You may
have to manually add a missing JVM to the Java control panel.

Applets and Java Web Start only work with 32-bit Java.

Lew

Roedy said:
Applets and Java Web Start only work with 32-bit Java.

That's funny. Both have worked quite well on my 64-bit Java for quite a
while. (JRE 6u17, Ubuntu Linux, AMD 64b CPU, Firefox 3.0.15)

It seems that capability was added back in 6u12, around six months ago:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u12.html>

mindprod.com is an important and usually quite reliable source of information
about Java, especially for newbies, and you promote it heavily in this
newsgroup. Please ensure your information is accurate.

Kevin McMurtrie

Roedy Green said:
You will likely want both 32 bit and 64 bit Java installed. You may
have to manually add a missing JVM to the Java control panel.

Applets and Java Web Start only work with 32-bit Java.

Not true, it depends on the environment. Applets that run inside the
browser's process must use a JVM matching the browser's CPU
architecture. (There are 64 bit browsers.) Applets that run in their
own process can be whatever the OS supports.

Arne Vajhøj

You will likely want both 32 bit and 64 bit Java installed. You may
have to manually add a missing JVM to the Java control panel.

Applets and Java Web Start only work with 32-bit Java.

.... a couple of years ago.

Arne