Running a Java App as a Service

Raga

Hi,

I have a pure java application which I want to run as a service. Any
suggestions on how to do it ? I saw some articles saying how to use JNI
to do it along with C code. But I am looking for a pure Java solution.
Also, some said that -Xrs option of the 'java' command would help. But
when I ran the application with 'Xrs' option, I didn't notice any
difference from the run without the option.

Thanks.

Vincent van Beveren

I have a pure java application which I want to run as a service. Any
suggestions on how to do it ? I saw some articles saying how to use JNI
to do it along with C code. But I am looking for a pure Java solution.
Also, some said that -Xrs option of the 'java' command would help. But
when I ran the application with 'Xrs' option, I didn't notice any
difference from the run without the option.

try:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=java+service+wrapper&btnG=Google+Search

We've just wrapper from tanuki. Its good

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html

Vincent

Raga

I have doubts on the licensing of Apache Commons Daemon & Java Service
Wrapper.

Is it ok to bundle Java Service Wrapper with a company's proprietary
product & sell the product? Meaning say if a company product named
product-1 uses Java Service Wrapper to run as a Windows Service. Is it
ok to sell product-1 (naturally Java Service Wrapper has to be bundled
with it to enable it to be run as a Windows Service) as a proprietary
product?

Thanks.

Vincent van Beveren

Raga said:
I have doubts on the licensing of Apache Commons Daemon & Java Service
Wrapper.

Is it ok to bundle Java Service Wrapper with a company's proprietary
product & sell the product? Meaning say if a company product named
product-1 uses Java Service Wrapper to run as a Windows Service. Is it
ok to sell product-1 (naturally Java Service Wrapper has to be bundled
with it to enable it to be run as a Windows Service) as a proprietary
product?

I dont'know about Commons Daemon, but JSW has this license:

"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of the Java Service Wrapper and associated
documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software
without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sub-license,
and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to
whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the
following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

See the full licence on the site. As far as I can see, you are allowed
to do almost anything with it as long as you bundle the license and
copyright notice.

Vincent

Raga

OK. Thanks!