running distutils installer without admin on windows

timothy.williams

Hello all.

We don't have admin privs on our Windows boxes, but I'd like to be able
to install a package built using distutils. I was able to install
Python without admin, but when I tried to run the installer for this
package I'm trying to install, I get a message saying that I need admin
privs.

Is there a way around this? Why can't it just put things in
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages like a good little installer?

Do I need to put a service call in to our admins to do this?

Thanks.

Jesper Olsen

Hello all.

We don't have admin privs on our Windows boxes, but I'd like to be able
to install a package built using distutils. I was able to install
Python without admin, but when I tried to run the installer for this
package I'm trying to install, I get a message saying that I need admin
privs.

Is there a way around this? Why can't it just put things in
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages like a good little installer?

Do I need to put a service call in to our admins to do this?

Thanks.

You can use the --home switch to specify a local directory to install
in, e.g.:

% python setup.py install --home=.

-Jesper

timothy.williams

I didn't build the installer, someone else did. I did get the source
and installed cygwin to see if I could recreate it; at least build the
library, but when I tried to do a build_ext I got a message saying I
needed to have the .NET SDK installed.

Thomas Heller

I didn't build the installer, someone else did. I did get the source
and installed cygwin to see if I could recreate it; at least build the
library, but when I tried to do a build_ext I got a message saying I
needed to have the .NET SDK installed.

You could at least open the installer exe in winzip or a similar tool,
and unpack it manually to the site-packages directory.

Thomas

PS: I *think* that the distutils from newer Python versions (2.4.1 and
2.3.5) create installers that can also run without admin rights.

timothy.williams

I found out how to build it with Cygwin

python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 bdist

I can then unzip the zip file it creates and put it in site-packages.

It looks like I can install a bdist_wininst installer with Python 2.4,
but not 2.3.5
(without admin).