scrambled video streams

Roedy Green

I have had a request to produce a custom Applet player for streaming
video, where the stream is scrambled so the customer cannot capture
the data to play again and again with a standard capture utility like
NetTransport. I wonder if anyone has ever looked into Java's JMF
streaming video to know if it lets you insert code between reading the
stream and decompressing and playing it.

JMF has not changed since 2003. Somebody told me it would be replaced
in Java 7. Did anything happen?

Jeff Higgins

I have had a request to produce a custom Applet player for streaming
video, where the stream is scrambled so the customer cannot capture
the data to play again and again with a standard capture utility like
NetTransport.

Remove copy protection?

Roedy Green

Remove copy protection?

The streams are owned by my customer. The idea is not only to stop
the customer from making copies of the streams, but to allow him to
play them only once. The streams currently have no scrambling or
digital rights features.

Jeff Higgins

The streams are owned by my customer. The idea is not only to stop
the customer from making copies of the streams, but to allow him to
play them only once. The streams currently have no scrambling or
digital rights features.

Oh. Adding copy protection. Sorry I can't help with your JMF question,
but here is a funny to make up for it.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_DReaM>

Gavino

Roedy Green said:
I have had a request to produce a custom Applet player for streaming
video, where the stream is scrambled so the customer cannot capture
the data to play again and again with a standard capture utility like
NetTransport. I wonder if anyone has ever looked into Java's JMF
streaming video to know if it lets you insert code between reading the
stream and decompressing and playing it.

The JMF architecture is highly 'pluggable' and you can insert your own
components at various points in the processing chain.

See http://ditra.cs.umu.se/jmf2_0-guide-html/JMFExtending.html

Roedy Green

That is good to hear.

I was thinking about video streaming. You would need some sort of
ReedSolomon codes for transmission through the air, though these would
not be necessary for TCP/IP transmission.

I have read there is framing info. Is this part of MP3 so something
tacked on.

What am trying to figure out if it is feasible to somehow scramble an
MP3 stream without carriers of it becoming alarmed. I wonder at what
stages it is possible to scramble, e.g. before compression, after
compression, Are there checksums at various levels of the protocol
that much be preserved?

Jeff Higgins

<http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/>