    p.s: appeals to authority are generally regarded as inferior to direct
    observation - something to consider if you choose to pursue a
    technical career ;-)

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 17, 2006

  2. Direct observations aren't always statistically significant.

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 17, 2006

  3. You forgot to cite an authority for that claim.

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 17, 2006
  4. On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:40:44 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Tak-Shing Chan

    (stuff to some guy called Dickey).

    Chan, given that my kill filters automatically picked this guy up, I
    suspect "Dickey" is a sock puppet for an existing troll. I suggest you
    killfile him.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Aug 17, 2006
  5. hmm - this seems to be your usual level, so I won't follow your lead.
    not at all.
    Unlike present company, I happen to know what I'm talking about.

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 17, 2006
  6. In fact, it's perfectly clear that terminal control does *not* fall
    under the bailiwick of the standard C language and library.
    There's no reason to assume that the terminal window is no taller than
    66 rows. I'm typing this in a 65-row window, and I could easily
    expand it.

    Also, depending on what kind of terminal or emulator you're using, the
    "erased" lines can just be scrolled off the top of the screen/window,
    where they can be recovered. If I clear the screen, it's often
    because I want to erase some sensitive information, and scrolling it
    out of sight isn't good enough.

    And, of course, it leaves the cursor at the bottom of the window.

    Clearing the screen, or, more generally, controlling cursor position,
    is one of those things that can *almost* be done in standard C with
    some really ugly tricks, but there's almost always a much cleaner
    system-specific solution. Don't waste your time trying to do it
    portably.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 17, 2006
  7. I haven't found that to be the case for any of the terminal emulators
    I use. I've just tried xterm, dtterm, gnome-terminal, a Windows
    command window, the GNU "screen" program, and rxvt; none of them clear
    the screen in response to a formfeed character.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 17, 2006
  8. Really? Do you know anything about these 120 terminals?
    According to my termcap (yes, appealing to authority again), they
    all respond to form feeds by clearing the screen:

    glasstty|classic glass tty interpreting ASCII control characters:\
    pmcons|pmconsole|PMAX console:\
    ibmpcx|xenix|ibmx|IBM PC xenix console display:\
    ofcons:\
    rcons|BSD rasterconsole:\
    rcons-color|BSD rasterconsole with ANSI color:\
    bsdos-sparc|Sun SPARC BSD/OS Console:\
    mterm|mouse-sun|Der Mouse term:\
    mgr|Bellcore MGR (non X) window system terminal emulation:\
    mgr-sun|Mgr window with Sun keyboard:\
    mgr-linux|Mgr window with Linux keyboard:\
    oldsun|Sun Microsystems Workstation console:\
    sun-il|Sun Microsystems console with working insert-line:\
    sun-cgsix|sun-ss5|Sun SparcStation 5 console:\
    sun|sun1|sun2|Sun Microsystems Inc. workstation console:\
    sun-s|Sun Microsystems Workstation window with status line:\
    sun-e-s|sun-s-e|Sun Microsystems Workstation with status hacked for emacs:\
    sun-48|Sun 48-line window:\
    sun-34|Sun 34-line window:\
    sun-24|Sun 24-line window:\
    sun-17|Sun 17-line window:\
    sun-12|Sun 12-line window:\
    sun-1|Sun 1-line window for sysline:\
    sun-e|sun-nic|sune|Sun Microsystems Workstation without insert character:\
    sun-c|sun-cmd|Sun Microsystems Workstation console with scrollable history:\
    sun-type4|Sun Workstation console with type 4 keyboard:\
    psterm|psterm-basic|NeWS psterm-80x34:\
    psterm-96x48|NeWS psterm 96x48:\
    psterm-90x28|NeWS psterm 90x28:\
    psterm-80x24|NeWS psterm 80x24:\
    psterm-fast|NeWS psterm fast version (flaky ctrl chars):\
    next|NeXT console:\
    wyse-vp|Wyse 50 in ADDS Viewpoint emulation mode with "enhance" on:\
    rbcomm|IBM PC with RBcomm and EMACS keybindings:\
    rbcomm-nam|IBM PC with RBcomm without autowrap:\
    rbcomm-w|IBM PC with RBcomm in 132 column mode:\
    att5620-s|tty5620-s|layer|vitty|5620 S layer:\
    aas1901|Ann Arbor K4080 w/S1901 mod:\
    regent|Adds Regent Series:\
    regent100|Adds Regent 100:\
    regent20|Adds Regent 20:\
    regent25|Adds Regent 25:\
    regent40|Adds Regent 40:\
    regent40+|Adds Regent 40+:\
    regent60|regent200|Adds Regent 60:\
    viewpoint|addsviewpoint|adds viewpoint:\
    screwpoint|adds viewpoint with ^O bug:\
    vp60|viewpoint60|addsvp60|adds viewpoint60:\
    cdc721|CDC Viking:\
    cdc721ll|CDC Vikingll:\
    cdc721-esc|Control Data 721:\
    dg-generic|Generic Data General terminal in DG mode:\
    dg200|data general dasher 200:\
    dg211|Data General d211:\
    dg450|dg6134|data general 6134:\
    dg6053-old|dg100|data general 6053:\
    dg6053|6053|6053-dg|dg605x|605x|605x-dg|d2|d2-dg|Data General DASHER 6053:\
    d200|d200-dg|Data General DASHER D200:\
    d210-dg|d214-dg|Data General DASHER D210 series in DG mode:\
    d211-dg|d215-dg|Data General DASHER D211 series in DG mode:\
    d216-dg|d216e-dg|d216+dg|d216e+dg|d217-dg|Data General DASHER D216 series in DG mode:\
    d220-dg|Data General DASHER D220 color terminal in DG mode:\
    d230c-dg|d230-dg|Data General DASHER D230C in DG mode:\
    d400|d400-dg|d450|d450-dg|Data General DASHER D400/D450 series:\
    d410-dg|d460-dg|d411-dg|d461-dg|Data General DASHER D410/D460 series in DG mode:\
    d412-dg|d462-dg|d462e-dg|d412+dg|d462+dg|d413-dg|d463-dg|Data General DASHER D412/D462 series in DG mode:\
    d430c-dg|d430-dg|Data General D430C in DG mode:\
    d430c-dg-ccc|d430-dg-ccc|Data General D430C in DG mode with configurable colors:\
    d470c-dg|d470-dg|Data General DASHER D470C in DG mode:\
    d555-dg|Data General DASHER D555 series in DG mode:\
    d577-dg|d578-dg|Data General DASHER D577/D578 series in DG mode:\
    dm1520|dm1521|datamedia 1520:\
    dt80-sas|Datamedia DT803/DTX for SAS usage:\
    hz1000|hazeltine 1000:\
    ibm-apl|apl|IBM apl terminal simulator:\
    i100|gt100|gt100a|General Terminal 100A (formerly Infoton 100):\
    addrinfo:\
    infoton:\
    prism9|p9|P9|MDC Prism-9 in ANSII mode:\
    prism9-w|p9-w|P9-W|MDC Prism-9 in 132 column mode:\
    prism12|p12|P12|MDC Prism-12 in ANSI mode:\
    prism12-w|p12-w|P12-W|MDC Prism-12 in 132 column mode:\
    prism14|p14|P14|MDC Prism-14 in ANSII mode:\
    prism14-w|p14-w|P14-W|MDC Prism-14 in 132 column mode:\
    p8gl|prism8gl|McDonnell-Douglas Prism-8 alternate definition:\
    mime314|mm314|mime 314:\
    ncr7900i|ncr7900|ncr 7900 model 1:\
    ncr7900iv|ncr 7900 model 4:\
    ncr7901|ncr 7901 model:\
    uts30|sperry uts30 with cp/m@1R1:\
    vc415|volker-craig 415:\
    ibm-pc|ibm5051|5051|IBM Personal Computer (no ANSI.SYS):\
    appleIIgs|appleIIe|appleIIc|Apple 80 column firmware interface:\
    apple-ae|ASCII Express:\
    appleII|apple ii plus:\
    apple-uterm-vb|Videx Ultraterm for Apple micros with Visible Bell:\
    apple-uterm|Ultraterm for Apple micros:\
    lisa|apple lisa console display (black on white):\
    liswb|apple lisa console display (white on black):\
    mac|macintosh|Macintosh with MacTerminal:\
    mac-w|macterminal-w|Apple Macintosh with Macterminal in 132 column mode:\
    trs2|trsII|trs80II|Radio Shack Model II using P&T CP/M:\
    trs16|trs-80 model 16 console:\
    minitel1|minitel 1:\
    minitel1b|minitel 1-bistandard (in 40cols mode):\
    blit|jerq|blit running teletype rom:\
    cbblit|fixterm|blit running columbus code:\
    oblit|ojerq|first version of blit rom:\
    cg7900|chromatics|chromatics 7900:\
    intertube|intertec|Intertec InterTube:\
    intertube2|intertec data systems intertube 2:\
    rca|rca vp3301/vp3501:\
    swtp|ct82|southwest technical products ct82:\
    t3700|dumb teleray 3700:\
    t3800|teleray 3800 series:\
    apollo|apollo console:\
    aws|Convergent Technologies AWS workstation under UTX and Xenix:\
    awsc|Convergent Technologies AWS workstation under CTOS:\
    aj510|Anderson-Jacobson model 510:\
    d132|datagraphix|datagraphix 132a:\
    teletec|Teletec Datascreen:\

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 17, 2006
  9. I have just posted a long list elsethread.

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 17, 2006
  10. someone

    Steve Summit Guest

    I had no idea that \f had fallen into disuse.
    I'm updating FAQ 19.4 accordingly.

    Steve Summit, Aug 17, 2006
  11. [/QUOTE]
    Sure. And I know how to use google too. Since you don't, I'll help:

    xterm supports ANSI color, VT220 emulation and UTF-8
    There's an faq at
    http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
    ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm/

    The current version of ncurses is 5.5 (20051010)
    There's an faq at
    http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html
    Let's stick to "most" and "modern". Do you understand the terms?
    I'm assuming you don't, given the list you presented -
    even ignoring the duplicates.
    (and no, I won't waste time here by giving a chronology ;-)

    most+modern would imply something like "in widespread use during the past
    ten years". There - add that to your glossary.

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 17, 2006
  12. someone

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    (The above actually works with displays up to 180 rows high.)

    For some reason, no one liked this suggestion of mine when I
    brought it during the last discussion of this issue:

    for (;;)
    putchar('\n');

    It should be effective just about everywhere, even on very tall
    terminals or those with a circular scrollback buffer. It will
    even get the attention of those using printing terminals.

    Ben Pfaff, Aug 17, 2006
  13. Irrelevant.
    Are you saying that Sun SPARC machines are not ``in
    widespread use during the past ten years''? That is news to me.

    By the way, I believe that ``modern'' on comp.lang.c means
    post-1989 (when ANSI C is born).

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 18, 2006
  14. You cited several duplicates. "Widespread" is debatable in this case,
    since (aside from the rarely-used console, Sun hasn't supported a terminal
    emulator for this for more than ten years - it's been that long that the
    openwin programs have been regarded as unsupported/legacy/doomed).

    For the others - spend a few moments to see how long it's been since the
    actual terminals were sold as new.
    no - the topic changed from ANSI C to terminal emulators, and the modern
    era for that was the related curses work in X/Open. 1996.

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 18, 2006
  15. That is only true if you are using UNIX. Many modern systems
    do not use curses.

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 18, 2006
  16. Those that don't, either use vt100-compatible terminals (OpenVMS), or do
    not make use of terminals (barring the miniscule fraction running Plan 9 ;-)

    hmm - a few readers of this group could tell if 9term clears the screen
    on a form-feed (it doesn't appear so to me, from reading its code).

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 18, 2006
  17. Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 18, 2006
  18. There are embedded Linux systems without curses.

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 18, 2006
  19. You posted a long list which has no obvious relevance to the point in
    question. The list is a long way from "most terminals" and few of the
    ones listed count as modern (one was recently sold as a rare antique
    computer, many are archaic museum pieces).

    J. J. Farrell, Aug 18, 2006
  20. That's been the case for more than ten years.

    Thomas Dickey, Aug 18, 2006