scrolling table cell problem

richard

On my site's yearly charts I currently have the two end columns filled
with an *. Basically so I could add stuff in later when I want to.

Right now I'm toying with an idea for a "calendar" on the right end
column to show instead of the *. Having that cell a fixed width with a
horizontal scroll. Inside that cell will be other cells showing the
ranks for each week.

I've tried nesting a table and that didn't seem to work. The scroll
part won't show at all. Neither will it show if I use div's.

Any ideas on how I might make it work?

Travis Newbury

Any ideas on how I might make it work?

What you are describing would be child's play in Flash. I think you
are doing a disservice to yourself if you do not give a Flash (or
other technologies) a look.

richard

What you are describing would be child's play in Flash. I think you
are doing a disservice to yourself if you do not give a Flash (or
other technologies) a look.

I have been considering looking into flash but I don't exactly like
the idea of having to pay the price tag they want.
When I originally did this, I used a seperate table for each record
and that seemed to work fine. Except it looked messier than hell.
I'm just having a problem getting the scroll to work right.

richard

What you are describing would be child's play in Flash. I think you
are doing a disservice to yourself if you do not give a Flash (or
other technologies) a look.

Found a working example that works just fine for me.

Travis Newbury

I have been considering looking into flash but I don't exactly like
the idea of having to pay the price tag they want.

Take a look at something called Swish (google swish for the URL) It
is a Flash development tool what will cover most people's flash needs
It runs about $100. Another alternative would be Flex, which creates
web based Flash and it is free. But has a much higher learning curve
as it is all code. Adobe gives away the Flex SDK and tools needed to
publish to SWF.

richard

Take a look at something called Swish (google swish for the URL) It
is a Flash development tool what will cover most people's flash needs
It runs about $100. Another alternative would be Flex, which creates
web based Flash and it is free. But has a much higher learning curve
as it is all code. Adobe gives away the Flex SDK and tools needed to
publish to SWF.

Thanks. Saw one example of flex that I could easily use. With that
style of expanding menu system I could easily put up the information I
need to and display it in a "flash" pardon the pun.

Gives me something else to play with now.