Search Engine submission(s)

Internet Novice

I read a post in this Newsgroup from 2000 that listed a sight that
would do FREE submissions to the various Search Engines so as to move
your web site higher on the search list.

1) Is there still a FREE service that will do this for me ???

2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
submission (for FREE) ???

Thanks.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Internet Novice
I read a post in this Newsgroup from 2000 that listed a sight that
would do FREE submissions to the various Search Engines so as to move
your web site higher on the search list.

1) Is there still a FREE service that will do this for me ???

2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
submission (for FREE) ???

Thanks.

If your site is on the Internet, and there is a link to it anywhere,
Google will find it, as will all the other bots, even those you have
never heard of.

The important thing is to have the site ready and accessible for the
bots when they arrive.

1. Title element that is relavent to each page
2. Description meta element that is relavent for each page so Google and
others will list the description in the SERPs
3. Correct and relavent heading element(s)
4. Good content - no bloat

I would also suggest using semantic markup, use CSS for presentation.
Valid markup (strict) also seems to help.

You might want to go over to alt.internet.search-engines - lots of
helpful folks over there. Search Engine Watch
[http://searchenginewatch.com] has tips and links to smaller, niche
engines.

richard

I read a post in this Newsgroup from 2000 that listed a sight that
would do FREE submissions to the various Search Engines so as to move
your web site higher on the search list.

1) Is there still a FREE service that will do this for me ???

2) Where can I find a list of web sites where I could do my own
submission (for FREE) ???

Thanks.

And just how will you know your submission gets done?
The main reason the top sites get listed as they do is $$$$$$$
to the search engines.

Then that's not even a guarantee.

Personally, I hate search engines because they don't do a proper
search. What they look for is anything that matches, anywhere on the
site or url. Just to give you results in the blink of an eye.

Do any 3 word search. Google tries to match one hit to the entire list
first. Then, it matches on either of 3 words and in any combination.
It's up to you to search through 10,000 hits to find 10 that match
yours.

Adrienne Boswell

And just how will you know your submission gets done?
The main reason the top sites get listed as they do is $$$$$$$
to the search engines.

Then that's not even a guarantee.

Personally, I hate search engines because they don't do a proper
search. What they look for is anything that matches, anywhere on the
site or url. Just to give you results in the blink of an eye.

Do any 3 word search. Google tries to match one hit to the entire list
first. Then, it matches on either of 3 words and in any combination.
It's up to you to search through 10,000 hits to find 10 that match
yours.

Well, you don't know what you're looking for. I seem to be able to find
what I want usually within the first page.