[semi OT] C compiler for Symbian

Bubba

Greetings,

is there C compiler (at least the one with standard libraries) that works
*on* Symbian (mobile phones) - not the one that designs applications for
it on 3rd party IDE, usually on PC?

I've Goggled and found ambiguous reports with no exact link or
information.

If that's not possible, can I make and compile ARM/Symbian programs
written in C (not C++) on my PC and than transfer them to Symbian based
mobile phone?

TIA!

Phil Carmody

What resources do the mobile phones have, in terms of RAM, non-volatile
storage, and CPU speed, for a native compiler?

I've got the full gcc suite on my Nokia n900. 256 MB RAM, swap if I
need it. 600 MHz Cortex. 32GB internal MMC, plus 8GB external.
I would also expect that a mobile phone, even with a keyboard, is
a bit clumsy for editing source code, even if it's OK for viewing
Squint-O-Vision video.

Typing is mostly motor-memory. I did notice that in the sauna on
Tuesday I did keep forgetting where the `'` and `"` keys were though
while I was hacking perl. (And yes, the device survived better than
I did, it even got to a temperature where I couldn't even hold it
and was still working fine.)

Visibility-wise, the X terminal has a user-selectable font. Of course,
you then end up with line length issues.
Note that some wireless phone companies (Verizon!) are intent on
blocking any way of getting anything in and out of your phone that
isn't billable. Transferring a program via multiple SMS messages
at 20 cents each or worse could get very expensive (even with a
texting plan that cuts it down to 2 cents a message, or using email
with a per-kilobyte charge)! Some of them allow things like a local
USB connection, serial port, Bluetooth, or a memory card to transfer
pictures, messages, your phone book, apps, etc.

You'd need a development setup with a cross-compiler (should be
easy to get. GCC is pretty good about building as a cross-compiler.)
and libraries that work with the phone OS (might be harder to get
with good documentation. Look for a development kit for the phone.)

Nokia n900 for the win.

Sounds like a plug? It is, it's shameless. I did write bits of it.
None of the 'bling', obviously, so I still maintain self-respect.

Phil