Sending Many emails at once

Stuart Mueller

I have an exchange server, that I sometimes use to perform mail shots to
clients on our database, these can be upwards of 1000 at a time.
As we don't want different clients to see who we are working with we put
these mailshots in the bcc field of the mails.

This can sometimes cause a problem as we are getting alot of mails bounced
back. I would like to write a script to have these emails sent
out individually using the to: field of the mail. I have googled for
examples of doing this but haven't found anything useful yet

Could somebody please point me in the right direction

Thanks

Stuart

p.s. I am not sending out Spam, I am sending mail to clients on our database
that have specifically said they want to receive mail from us!

Stuart Mueller

Curt_C [MVP] put finger to keyboard and typed:
It's the exact same code to send the mail...just use the .TO
property. Or are you saying you dont know how to do the DB lookup
loop?

I don't know where to start, basicaly!
Will I need an app like aspemail to do the sending of the mail or can I use
something built into IIS?

would aspemail be able to handle sending out so many emails, would IIS be
able to handle sending out so many emails?

I could figure out the DB lookup loop, if I just knew what to use =(

Stuart

Dominique

Seems like ur working with a distribution list not a DB?
anyhows,

you can use the CDONTS or CDOSYS objects, depending on which platform ur
running on...

Stuart Mueller

Dominique put finger to keyboard and typed:
Seems like ur working with a distribution list not a DB?
anyhows,

you can use the CDONTS or CDOSYS objects, depending on which platform
ur running on...
I have a windows NT box that has my exchange 5.5 mail server on.
I have a windows 2000 box with IIS on, that hosts an intranet site.

Am I wrong in the belief that aspemail is an alternative to CDONTS?

Stuart

Stuart Mueller

Curt_C [MVP] put finger to keyboard and typed:
It's a third party solution/component and depending on what you need,
not necessary. You will need access to an SMTP server. Here is a
simple example of CDO
http://www.darkfalz.com/1090

So I could use CDONTS, I wouldn't need to use my exchange server.
I would just loop through all of the addresses in my list changing the
iMsg.To line

I can have html mail, which I need for the mailshots.

Would it cause a lot of congestion on my server, how quickly could CDONTS
process hte emails?
Does CDONTS use the default smtp server that comes with IIS?
Is CDONTS installed by default?

Stu

Jeff Cochran

Curt_C [MVP] put finger to keyboard and typed:

So I could use CDONTS, I wouldn't need to use my exchange server.
I would just loop through all of the addresses in my list changing the
iMsg.To line

I can have html mail, which I need for the mailshots.

Would it cause a lot of congestion on my server, how quickly could CDONTS
process hte emails?

Rather slowly compared to an Exchange distribution list (stop putting
email addreses in BCC fields, that's a typical SPAM trick and often
blocked.)
Does CDONTS use the default smtp server that comes with IIS?

Yes, if you choose to.
Is CDONTS installed by default?

It's not an installed/not installed item. It's a programming library,
part of the operating system setup (uses CDONTS.DLL). And you can use
it with your Exchange server if you wish.

Jeff

Alan Howard

Would it cause a lot of congestion on my server, how quickly could CDONTS
process hte emails?

I've never formally stress-tested it but have successfully used this method
to send individual emails to over 3000 staff in one hit (using CDONTS).

Alan