Session State Management

Guest

Hello all.

I am trying to manage session data with out ever setting session cookies on
the client user's side.

I understand that by setting values in the Session object, a cookie is set
on the client side with the value of a session number. This is a problem for
me, since search engines do not retain this value.

I understand that SQL Server can be used to save session objects.. but I'm
sure this method is no different for the end user.

How can I save session values (including serialized objects and datasets) in
a session without ever setting cookie values on the client side?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
- Eyal.

Richard K Bethell

The session cookie is an unavoidable reality of setting session state. I'm
not sure there'd be any way around that... If you have to avoid sessions
entirely, you can do it by totally parameterizing your application so that
it is completely stateless, or by putting all your "pages" inside asp:panels
and running the whole app out of one page with the ViewState....

R.

Peter Rilling

There is a thing called cookieless session where the session ID is attached
to the page's URL rather than saving it in a cookie.

I have an interesting question. Why would you be concerned about search
engines since sessions expire?

Peter Rilling

Question. What happens when the session expires and someone visits a page
with the session ID in the URL, like if someone has bookmarked the page?

Bruce Barker

the same thing that happens when someone accesses an expired session with a
cookie sessionid (server session expired before cookie), a new session with
the same id is created.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)