Session Timeouts

Dave

What are some of the draw backs about setting a very long session time out?

What is 'too long' ?

Ray at

Sessions use system resources, i.e. RAM. There is no definitive "too long"
value. This all depends on what your needs are or aren't.

Ray at work

Lord Merlin

Well, first of all, every session that's open, even if it's unused, uses
server memory and CPU space. I have found though that for one of my sites 20
minutes is not enough, even 30 wasn't, so I set the timeout to 40 minutes,
but then I destroy all my session in my script the moment they are not
needed anymore, thus forcing those resources to become available again. If
someone does take long to fill out a form, he's get the time todo it, but
the moment a session is not needed anymore I kill it.

hth

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
(John 15:13).
What are some of the draw backs about setting a very long session time out?

What is 'too long' ?

Gyanendra

look its depend on the site usease , if your site is frquently using then for every user session object will create and that will take a resourses from server and after some time back your server will go slow and might be restarted .. but if yo u are making some web based application then you can define any session time out period but you should always remember that if there is no useease of session then kill it .This is implemented for all type of application

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

ISP Session allows a 67 year timeout :) because all data is persisted to Sql
server upon page end execution.

Dave said:
What are some of the draw backs about setting a very long session time
out?

The max is 24 hours for Microsoft's Session. Drawbacks, more resources, more
locks the less scalable your website.