Setting folder permissions on remote machine / remote domain

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Tim Chandler, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Tim Chandler

    Tim Chandler Guest

    Hello there,

    I have the following problem:
    I have Machine A which runs my website. I have Machine B which holds
    folders for users. Machine A and Machine B are in separate domains.

    My goal:
    From the website on Machine A, I want to create folders on Machine B,
    and set the permissions to a specific user who resides in the domain
    Machine B is part of.

    Progress:
    So far I can create the folders without problems. When I go to set
    the permissions, I am attempting to impersonate the Administrator
    account on Machine B (from the website on Machine A). I have set
    Machine A to let ASPUSER
    "act as part of the operating system". I believe my inheritance code
    works because if I inherit a user on Machine A, the inheritance works,
    but then of course the command to set the folder permissions doesn't.

    If I read correctly at Microsoft's website, one cannot use LogonUser
    to logon to a remote machine (in this case, I tried it with Machine
    B). Is there a way to impersonate the Administrator on Machine B
    (which is in a separate domain)? Or is there a much easier way to set
    the permissions on a remote folder for a remote user that I'm not
    seeing?

    Thanks for any advice folks can offer.

    Tim Chandler

    Tim Chandler, Oct 7, 2003