Setting the timeout for a specific page.

Mufasa

Is there a way to set the timeouts for inactivity to be specific for a
specific page?

My memory is the answer is no.

I have a script that is on every page at the moment that after twenty
minutes of inactivity automatically logs you out. I can turn that off for
the specific page but I assume I'll lose my session variables and what not
at the timeout.

The reason for all of this is that we allow our users to upload video files
and it takes a while for them to upload.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff.

S. Justin Gengo

Jeff,

You are correct, but maybe you could come up with a workaround:

Using the same script you currently have you may be able to do so. I would
do it like this:

Create a script that refreshes the session every five minutes (or whatever
value you'd like). Also set up a loop that counts the number of times the
script has refreshed the page. To maintain that count between postbacks that
value could be stored in a hidden field or a cookie. Then you can vary a
page-timeout based on how many times you allow the script to loop before
logout. You could also open up a secondary window for this script to run in
so that you don't interfere with the upload. Or you may want to look into
utilizing multi-threading for the uploads.

Regards,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
justin@aboutfortunate[-NoSpam-].com