should I force a install for DBD::mysql if tests fail?

Rahul

I tried to install from CPAN "DBD::mysql" and it failed saying:

Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

I can see that the tests are failing like so:

all skipped: ERROR: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO). Can't continue test
t/40keyinfo.................skipped

etc.

It seems that mysql is not allowing it to connect passwordless as root.
This seems desirable to me! Should I just force the install somehow or is
there a cleaner fix?

Rahul

Do you need the latest version for a specific reason? If not, and you
are on a linux platform, your distro probably already provides DBD::mysql
in one of its packages.

Thanks Keith! I was installing Bugzilla and its pre-installation check-
script "checksetup.pl" complained:

* In order to access your database, Bugzilla requires that the *
* correct "DBD" module be installed for the database that you are *
* running.
MySQL: /usr/bin/perl install-module.pl DBD::mysql
Minimum version required: 4.00

I am on RHEL. I tried "yum info perl-DBD-mysql" and it says:

[snip]
Version : 3.0007
Release : 2.el5
Size : 326 k
Repo : installed
[snip]

So I assume the native version won't do! Is there any other way out? What
would you recommend in this case?

Rahul

There are many versions of RHEL; I'm guessing you're on 5, but if not
you should specify.

Right, my bad! Didn't realize it could be relevant.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)

Rahul

You have at least three options, of which I slightly prefer the first.

Thanks Keith. I got it installed now. Motivated by comments it did it using
a slightly modified "Option 4"

mysql>grant all privileges on test.* to 'root'@'localhost' identified by ''

perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBD::mysql'

mysql> ####commands to revoke passwordless loging####

Rahul

How else would you configure testing in an arbitrary MySQL environment?
Any default username/password/dbname combination is sure not to work in
many environments, not to mention dbhost. So, either you're stuck with
not doing any of the live db tests, or you need a way to configure them.
Or you ignore the results of the live tests if in CPAN, or tell users to
force install DBD::mysql. But neither of those seem best practice.

Maybe tell users to add a specific user/pw to mysql with very limited
permissions on a test db. Thats what I ended up doing. There were some
instructions but I missed them in the lots of scrolling output. Maybe if
CPAN stopped there for a user input.