Showing powerpoint in the browser

Harry Bellafonte

Hi

I want to open a simple powerpoint sheet in the browser window. What is
the best way to do that?
I have searched in this group and saw different people telling that the
pluginn for powerpoint must be placed on the page as well.
Can someone help me out?

Regards

Auggie

Harry Bellafonte said:
Hi

I want to open a simple powerpoint sheet in the browser window. What is
the best way to do that?
I have searched in this group and saw different people telling that the
pluginn for powerpoint must be placed on the page as well.
Can someone help me out?

You can save the powerpoint page as a web page... click on "SAVE AS..."
under the file menu

Roy Schestowitz

Auggie said:
You can save the powerpoint page as a web page... click on "SAVE AS..."
under the file menu

I have given a Web-based presentation using S5 about 20 minutes ago. See an
example at:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Research/Presentations/Early_2005_Presentation

or the short talk I have just given:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Research/Progress/Reports/2004-2005/RSPRS072/

S5 is free and it is one of my favourite CSS/JavaScript-based Web
applications. You can download it and get full instructions at Eric Meyer's
page:

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

Hope it helps,

Roy

Toby Inkster

Harry said:
I want to open a simple powerpoint sheet in the browser window. What is
the best way to do that?

Check out OpenOffice.org -- since version 1.1 it allows you to export a
Powerpoint file as a Flash (SWF) movie. The betas of version 2.0
apparently have even better support for Flash and allow fancy transitions
between slides.

Roy Schestowitz

Toby said:
Check out OpenOffice.org -- since version 1.1 it allows you to export a
Powerpoint file as a Flash (SWF) movie. The betas of version 2.0
apparently have even better support for Flash and allow fancy transitions
between slides.

SWF is not an open format. I am very surprised OpenOffice.org have gone as
far as implementing that. They could opt for other, cleaner formats. Having
said that, the source of the SWF is in OpenOffice.org format, which is
open. So I guess it's okayish...

Roy

Toby Inkster

Roy said:
SWF is not an open format.

It kinda sorta is. To develop tools that use the SWF format you have to
agree to a licence from Macromedia, but that said it's not such a nasty
licence -- it indeminifies them from any damages (same as most Open Source
licences do), ensures a bit of quality control (your Flash export function
must not break in the latest version of the Flash Player for Windows, Mac
and Linux at the time of release) and protects their trademark over the
name "Macromedia Flash".

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/licensing/fileformat/