silverlight?

Andrew Poulos

I've been reading the documentation on the MS site about silverlight. It
promises much and I've started playing around with it. Though I'm not
overly keen on using code and/or hosting my content at 3rd party URIs
(agappdom.net and silverlight.services.live.com).

I'm trying out the simple example that MS provides in IE 6:

<!-- (1) add a script reference -->
<script src="http://agappdom.net/g/silverlight.js"
type="text/javascript"></script>

<!-- (2) define a Javascript function to create the hosted object;
usually in a separate .js file -->
<script type="text/javascript">
var pe;
function CreateSilverlight() {
Sys.Silverlight.createHostedObjectEx({ source:
"streaming:/32/SlLogo", parentElement: pe});
}
</script>

<!-- (3) define a DIV to contain the hosted object -->
width:300px; height:240px; background:red;">
<!-- (4) add a script element to call the create function -->
<script type="text/javascript">
pe = document.getElementById("myApp");
CreateSilverlight();
</script>

And I get 3 things:

1.
Error: Library not registered.
Code: 0

2.
Error: 'Silverlight' is undefined
Code:0

3.
The "Get Microsoft Silverlight" logo displayed.

If I use the iframe method for displaying silverlight the app (media?)
displays the app displays in FF 2 but still errors in IE 6.

If I go to silverlight.net silverlight content displays correctly so
that makes me think I have the plugin installed correctly.

Does anyone understand silverlight enough to explain how to use
javascript to display it?

Andrew Poulos

David Mark

I've been reading the documentation on the MS site about silverlight. It
promises much and I've started playing around with it. Though I'm not
overly keen on using code and/or hosting my content at 3rd party URIs
(agappdom.net and silverlight.services.live.com).

I'm trying out the simple example that MS provides in IE 6:

<!-- (1) add a script reference -->
<script src="http://agappdom.net/g/silverlight.js"

I have never heard of Silverlight, but from looking at this script, I
am sure I wouldn't use it. It reminds me of Adobe's Flash deployment
script (i.e. monstrously incompetent.) You would think these
companies could find decent JavaScript help.

Doug Gunnoe

I have never heard of Silverlight, but from looking at this script, I
am sure I wouldn't use it.  It reminds me of Adobe's Flash deployment
script (i.e. monstrously incompetent.)  You would think these
companies could find decent JavaScript help.

<rant>

silverlight has been out about a year (maybe 2?) now I suppose. And it
follows the same model as all of Microsoft's 'inventions': They take a
bunch of existing ideas, cloak it in proprietary bullshit, and market
it as innovation.

</rant>

Andrew Poulos

Doug said:
<rant>

silverlight has been out about a year (maybe 2?) now I suppose. And it
follows the same model as all of Microsoft's 'inventions': They take a
bunch of existing ideas, cloak it in proprietary bullshit, and market
it as innovation.

</rant>

Be that as it, may I doubt that it will be going away any time soon and
its adoption will grow then it will directly impact the javascript that
we all do.

Andrew Poulos

David Mark

Be that as it, may I doubt that it will be going away any time soon and

True enough. Unfortunately, neither will Flash.
its adoption will grow then it will directly impact the javascript that
we all do.

I doubt that. But if it does get popular, I will have to write a
proper script to implement it (just as I had to do for Flash.)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Andrew said:
Be that as it, may I doubt that it will be going away any time soon and
its adoption will grow then it will directly impact the javascript that
we all do.

(Jumping to conclusions appears to be the newly fashioned leisure-time
activity. Did bungee-jumping get too boring after all?)

Well, I for one do not code exclusively for Microsoft Internet Explorer for
Microsoft Windows (possible plugins for other UAs do not count -- first you
have to get users to install them) as that would significantly reduce the
number of potential visitors (and thereby customers); even if I did, that
code would not be JavaScript as Internet Explorer simply does not support
it. So much for that.

PointedEars

Andrew Poulos

Thomas said:
(Jumping to conclusions appears to be the newly fashioned leisure-time
activity. Did bungee-jumping get too boring after all?)

Its pretty much the only exercise I get these days.
Well, I for one do not code exclusively for Microsoft Internet Explorer for
Microsoft Windows (possible plugins for other UAs do not count -- first you
have to get users to install them) as that would significantly reduce the
number of potential visitors (and thereby customers); even if I did, that
code would not be JavaScript as Internet Explorer simply does not support
it. So much for that.

My browser has plugins for quicktime, acrobat, flash, media player, a
bunch of assorted add ons, and some search engines, why should I be
afraid of another add on/plugin?

You don't think that people being able to, according to MS, easily
manipulate the DOM without having to expose code in an open fashion is
not going to appeal to many? The samples that do run look and run fine
on my ADSL 2+ link.

At any rate I'm waiting/hoping for someone who has been using it to
provide an opinion/review.

Andrew Poulos

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Andrew said:
Its pretty much the only exercise I get these days.

My browser has plugins for quicktime, acrobat, flash, media player, a
bunch of assorted add ons, and some search engines,

I would assume there are more people who don't have all that than people who
have it.
why should I be afraid of another add on/plugin?

Fear does not enter into it, although "never change a running system" would
probably be a sound counter-argument. Especially on Windows.
You don't think that people being able to, according to MS, easily
manipulate the DOM without having to expose code in an open fashion is
not going to appeal to many? The samples that do run look and run fine
on my ADSL 2+ link.

Ability has little to do with it. People are also lazy in the regard that
they don't like changes; I, on the other hand, don't make my design
decisions based on hope.

PointedEars