simple coding question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Leif K-Brooks, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Sounds like you're using tables for layout. Don't do that.
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Leif K-Brooks

    akos91 Guest

    i've gotten pretty rusty on html coding, and i've forgotten quite a bit
    my problem seems to be a simple one, but i cant remember and figure ou
    how to fix it.

    I'm working on a site for a school project, and I've become stuck a
    this point.

    site is here: http://www.noammo.org/index2.html

    I have a bunch of tables set up and content in them, but the conten
    always stays in the middle of the table. I have a navigation bar to th
    left, and as you can see (where the four missing pictures are), th
    pictures are in the middle of the table. I want to make it so they ar
    at the top.

    the basic coding is that I have a table encompassing the middle conten
    of the page, then a table column on the left containing the navigatio
    table. to see the source just go to view source in your browser. if yo
    want me to post it just ask.

    thanks

    akos9

    akos91, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Leif K-Brooks

    akos91 Guest

    nevermind i definitely missed something, but its fixed

    akos9

    akos91, Dec 31, 2003
  4. Although the text of the page I agree with 100%, I just have to laugh at the
    "this page is sponsored by AffordableHOST" bit, whose site uses... wait for
    it... tables for layout! Hehehe.

    Andrew Cameron, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Quoth the raven named Andrew Cameron:
    Yes. Why can't that be in a tastefully small footer line - 85% - at
    the bottom of the pages. Or only on the main page.

    Maybe it's a coding misteak.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 31, 2003

  6. Oh god...not tables. *gasp* I should probably just take my whole site
    offline and crawl off and die somewhere. :p

    You know what else? My site doesn't validate, doesn't use alt tags very
    well and probably doesn't display as intended on some browsers. Take a
    pill...you'll feel better about it. ;-)

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004

  7. Maybe we host the site 100% free, because I believe it serves a very good
    purpose, and the site owner is trying to say "Thank you"?

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Quoth the raven named Tina:
    I'm pretty sure we all knew you were hosting it for free, and that's
    commendable. The fact remains that the chosen plug takes up a fair
    chunk of valuable real estate above the fold, and would look better as
    a line in the footer. Even a specially colored line would be fine.

    Someone else mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2004

  9. I think the idea is to send us as much traffic as possible, as a way of
    saying "thanks for helping us out". Which I, in turn, very much appreciate.

    If someone else was sponsoring the site, I might be inclined to say "Jeez,
    that's a bit petty of you to slam on Allmyfaqs, who's offering you a site at
    no charge that apparently has helped you, regarding their sponsored ad...and
    taking pokes at their sponsor as well." But, since we're sponsoring it...I
    won't. ;-)

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Leif K-Brooks

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribbled in the mud:
    What's your problem anyway. Do you even know who's idea it was to tell
    who was hosting the site? There's a very good chance that Tina had
    nothing to do with putting it there. Get your facts before you bitch.

    Duende, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Quoth the raven named Duende:
    I never said Tina put it there or even requested it, and assumed the
    site's author did the work. I'm not upset by the information, only
    that the placement is a bit odd.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 3, 2004
  12. no that's reserved for site owners that lie and cheat. a severe thrashing
    will do.

    William Tasso, Jan 3, 2004

  13. I am SO tempted to top-post. :-D

    --Tina