Simple database connection

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jrq, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. jrq

    jrq Guest

    Apologies for being really dumb today. I'm sure this is something
    really basic.
    I'm trying to open a connection to a MySQL database using mysql2 using
    the following:

    require "rubygems"
    require "mysql2"
    mysql = Mysql2::Client.new:)host => 'localhost', :user =>
    'user1', :password => 'XXXX', :database => 'www_wpportal')
    res = mysql.query("select * from contact_tag")

    But I keep getting this message when I run it:

    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql2-0.2.4/lib/mysql2/client.rb:
    36:in `connect': Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
    password: YES) (Mysql2::Error)

    I don't understand where it's getting the "root@localhost" from.

    Any assistance greatly appreciated.

    jrq, Jul 8, 2011

  2. jrq

    jrq Guest

    Of course I figured it out 2 minutes after posting. It's "username"
    not "user".

    jrq, Jul 8, 2011