Simple Java Calculator required. (paid work)

IchBin

Ron said:
I have posted on Google answers my requirement (paying $25) for a small,
simple Java Calculator:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=729045

Thanks for looking !!

(e-mail address removed)

Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
Wrong Group.

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

jmcgill

IchBin said:
Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
Wrong Group.

The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

Rhino

jmcgill said:
The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is free
:)

But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of Canada.)
Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is presumably
a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never heard of a
government farming out work this informally. A friend of a friend who worked
for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial government once needed
someone to write a few lines of HTML; they guesstimated that it was 10 hours
work total (it was more like 20 minutes) and actually advertised the
position and did formal INTERVIEWS to find the person who would get the job!
With that kind of mentality, I can't imagine a government with unionized
employees just posting specs on a website and sending the guy who wrote the
code $25; it's just not bureaucratic enough to be real government.

Maybe this guy is a contractor working for the government. Or maybe he's set
to do some kind of "phishing" scheme where people send HIM their Manitoba
Land Tax money instead of the government?

jmcgill

Rhino said:
Maybe this guy is a contractor working for the government. Or maybe he's set
to do some kind of "phishing" scheme where people send HIM their Manitoba
Land Tax money instead of the government?

Sounds like an IP royalty bomb :)

Furious George

Rhino said:
[...]

Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
wants someone else to do his homework for him.

jmcgill

Furious said:
Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
wants someone else to do his homework for him.

Surely no *Canadian* student would do that.

Rhino

Furious George said:
Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
wants someone else to do his homework for him.
A student has an assignment to calculate the Manitoba Land Tax? Seems a bit
unlikely to me. Not inconceivable - an imaginative instructor might look for
a real life form for his students to code - but not awfully likely. I've
seen a lot of homework assignments described on the Java forums but never
anything involving an (apparently) real tax.

fb

Rhino said:
No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is free
:)

But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of Canada.)

People don't know where Manitoba is? I'm hurt.
Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is presumably
a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never heard of a
government farming out work this informally. A friend of a friend who worked
for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial government once needed
someone to write a few lines of HTML; they guesstimated that it was 10 hours
work total (it was more like 20 minutes) and actually advertised the
position and did formal INTERVIEWS to find the person who would get the job!
With that kind of mentality, I can't imagine a government with unionized
employees just posting specs on a website and sending the guy who wrote the
code $25; it's just not bureaucratic enough to be real government.

No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to
the municipal government(s).

fb

Rhino

fb said:
People don't know where Manitoba is? I'm hurt.
Don't be. I'm from Ontario (Canada, not California) and I just mentioned
that for foreigners who don't know what Manitoba is. (I remember Letterman
once asking Michael J. Fox whether Edmonton is anywhere near Alberta; he
seemed to think they were both cities!)
No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to the
municipal government(s).
Really? You're allowed to farm out your work - even tiny, tiny parts of your
work like this and not do it yourself? Your supervisors don't mind? The
politicians don't mind? The unions don't object?

I admit that this approach has the potential of saving lots of money since
expensive hiring processes are bypassed but it seems to fly in the face of a
long tradition of featherbedding and other such foolishness. Call me cynical
but I would imagine the bureaucrats and unions being dead set against any
such thing and the politicians being even more against it for fear that the
media would scream accusations of improper conduct. After all, what if the
guy who collected the fee for writing the code turned out to be a present or
former convict or be connected with the current ruling party?

zburnham

People don't know where Manitoba is? I'm hurt.

Never mind that, they have computers in Canada?

hee hee hee

Roedy Green

No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to
the municipal government(s).

I worked for a crown utility corporation. The problem there was
allocated vs unallocated money. My boss explained that once money had
been allocated there was no barrier to it being spent. In fact, you
had BETTER spend it, or next year your allocation would be cut back.
Unallocated money on the other hand was near impossible to come by.

This was why it was easier to write a computer program in 6 months you
could buy for $1000. The first was allocated money, the second
unallocated.

Roedy Green

Never mind that, they have computers in Canada?

In the early 1990s the cheapest place to buy a personal computer was
Canada. You could get a lot more bang for your buck. The reason was
so many immigrants in Vancouver knew how to import direct from Asia.
The other factor was high quality free advertising newspapers that
educated the public on what computers could do for them and how they
worked.

Also the Canadian public embraced PCs sooner than the USA and also
datacommunications. The main reason was geography. The populated part
of Canada is a long narrow strip just north of the American border.
This was ideal for stimulating the development of long distance
communications. Dealing with the rest of the country in isolated
pockets stimulated the development of datacommunication satellites.

Americans who don't get out much imagine they pioneered everything. It
was the Finns who got the cell phone revolution going.

fb

Roedy said:
I worked for a crown utility corporation. The problem there was
allocated vs unallocated money. My boss explained that once money had
been allocated there was no barrier to it being spent. In fact, you
had BETTER spend it, or next year your allocation would be cut back.
Unallocated money on the other hand was near impossible to come by.

This was why it was easier to write a computer program in 6 months you
could buy for $1000. The first was allocated money, the second
unallocated.

I had the same explanation given to me...In non-computer related
government work though.