single menu

Will

This is probably a simple question but I am having trouble finding an
answer. I have a website with about 30 pages and each page has the same
menu. There must be a way to have each page reference a single menu
somewhere else so that I don't have to update all those menus every time
I change something. I am guessing that I can do this in a CSS but I
haven't seen how yet.

BORG

This is probably a simple question but I am having trouble finding an
answer. I have a website with about 30 pages and each page has the same
menu. There must be a way to have each page reference a single menu
somewhere else so that I don't have to update all those menus every time
I change something. I am guessing that I can do this in a CSS but I
haven't seen how yet.

i'm learning that exact same thing. Using a .js file and Xara Web
Style although I'm using it as a teaching aid I'm playing with the .js
file more now though

--
E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Adrienne

i'm learning that exact same thing. Using a .js file and Xara Web
Style although I'm using it as a teaching aid I'm playing with the .js
file more now though

Only one problem with using a .js file for navigation. If the visitor does
not have javascript enabled, there will be no navition. Search engine bots
do not have javascript - how are they supposed to crawl your site?

Clive Moss

Will said:
This is probably a simple question but I am having trouble finding an
answer. I have a website with about 30 pages and each page has the same
menu. There must be a way to have each page reference a single menu
somewhere else so that I don't have to update all those menus every time
I change something. I am guessing that I can do this in a CSS but I
haven't seen how yet.

If you use an editor with a find and replace feature then there is no need
to use JavaScript
It takes about 5 seconds to change the menu on 30 pages using Homesite 5's
extended find and replace

cm

Will

Clive said:
If you use an editor with a find and replace feature then there is no need
to use JavaScript
It takes about 5 seconds to change the menu on 30 pages using Homesite 5's
extended find and replace

cm

Looks like that is what I will be doing. Thanks.

Adrienne

I looked at that and didn't see what I was looking for. It is probably
my fault. There is a lot of content on the page and I most likely
didn't realize I was looking at what I needed to. What exactly should
I look at on that page?

1. Server Side Includes
2. Server Side Scripting
3. Frames
4. Objects
5. HTML Preprocessing
6. Client Side Scripting

Go through each option and decide which is correct for you.

Nico Schuyt

Will said:
This is probably a simple question but I am having trouble finding an
answer. I have a website with about 30 pages and each page has the
same menu. There must be a way to have each page reference a single
menu somewhere else so that I don't have to update all those menus
every time I change something. I am guessing that I can do this in a
CSS but I haven't seen how yet.

CSS can't be used for this.
If your server supports it, use PHP. Nothing more than <? include
"menu.htm"?> on every page. Menu.htm (another file name is fine) contains
the html code of the menu.

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

Is the reason that I am not finding any information because this isn't
done on a normal bases? I find that hard to believe. It seems like an
obvious thing to incorporate in to something like CSS.
Very few computer languages incorporate this (eg neither C nor C++ has
such a facility). For programming languages preprocessors are usually
used. For HTML it's mostly either a preprocessor or server-side
includes.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/ppwizard.htm
http://www.bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

Full information at the link Mark posted:

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another