Site owners check your site for robots.txt file!

John Bokma

Big Bill said:
Big Bill said:
On 12 Aug 2006 20:28:41 GMT, John Bokma <[email protected]>
wrote:

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
[..]

See: <http://johnbokma.com/windows/apache-virtual-hosts-xp.html>
on how to create local versions of your site(s). (Windows XP).

This is aimed more at the dynamic site?

I have several dynamic sites that way, and static. With dynamic you
probably want to install PHP, and MySQL.

I did have PHP at one point but things went a bit foobar on 98SE.
For example, I use PHPbb on one site, and have written a (Perl) script
[1] that is able to download a backup. This backup can be copied into
the local MySQL database, so I have a 1:1 copy (for a short while).

[1] http://johnbokma.com/perl/phpbb-remote-backup.html

I'll probably get servers going here but just to fiddle with.

I have plans to add howto's on installing PHP, MySQL and a few more fun
things :) Maybe next week. I somehow needed this week to adjust to not
travelling every day :-D.

And I just noticed that I missed out on a very important Perl serp: Perl
support :) (Made a quicky, I hope to be on #8 next week)

Adrienne Boswell

Adrienne, my dove, you need a spell-check on your site. It seems to be
the one thing you lack :-(

Bill, thank you so much. It's probably something I look at all the time
and never see. Which page? What's misspelled?

Leonard Blaisdell

Adrienne Boswell said:
Bill, thank you so much. It's probably something I look at all the time
and never see. Which page? What's misspelled?

I don't take glee from pointing out misspellings, but you asked so I did
a cursory inspection of your site to find one misspelling. On Spane's
page, the menu says "Horospoce" instead of "Horoscope".
I originally clicked on Spane because I thought you might mean Spain ;-)
You didn't.

leo

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Leonard Blaisdell
I don't take glee from pointing out misspellings, but you asked so I
did a cursory inspection of your site to find one misspelling. On
Spane's page, the menu says "Horospoce" instead of "Horoscope".
I originally clicked on Spane because I thought you might mean Spain
;-) You didn't.

leo

You know, I alway thought that looked a little funny... Thank you. Yes,
it's Spane not Spain. It was my mother's idea if I had been a boy, Spane
Anthony Boswell.

Big Bill

Bill, thank you so much. It's probably something I look at all the time
and never see. Which page? What's misspelled?

From memory the front page, you spell dependent wrong in the alt text
of one of the, um, validation thingies down the bottom. You spell it
"depenent". I should go over my site more often too!

BB

Gazza

Adrienne Boswell mumbled the following on 13/08/2006 06:55:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Leonard Blaisdell

You know, I alway thought that looked a little funny... Thank you.

Resume -> Site administration section also had an error IIRC.

axel

In uk.net.web.authoring John Bokma said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
See: <http://johnbokma.com/windows/apache-virtual-hosts-xp.html>
on how to create local versions of your site(s). (Windows XP).

Hi John... greetings in a different forum than usual.

A good guide.

The approach I adopted (on MACOSX) was to assign different private IP
addresses in /etc/hosts and configure httpd.conf accordingly.

Your approach makes more sense in using 127.0.0.1 as the one base
IP address when only using a single local machine, which I'm doing
at the moment... it saves having to edit configuration files when
moving to a different network (a couple of months ago I had to
switch to a 10.0.1 network).

Although I have a development site on my local machine which I use
to check out things before uploading... I do my real development a
stage before that by using Makefiles, the htp 1.15 HTML pre-processor
(old, but it works just fine) and various perl scripts to create
the deveopment site, or parts thereof. In other words I write as
little HTML as possible.

Axel

John Bokma

Hi John... greetings in a different forum than usual.

A good guide.

Thanks Axel, I have been working today like crazy to update it to 2.0 and
fix some minor issues with the 1.3.x version.
The approach I adopted (on MACOSX) was to assign different private IP
addresses in /etc/hosts and configure httpd.conf accordingly.

Your approach makes more sense in using 127.0.0.1 as the one base
IP address when only using a single local machine, which I'm doing
at the moment... it saves having to edit configuration files when
moving to a different network (a couple of months ago I had to
switch to a 10.0.1 network).

It depends a lot on what you want, I don't want most of my sites to become
visible on the LAN :)
Although I have a development site on my local machine which I use
to check out things before uploading... I do my real development a
stage before that by using Makefiles, the htp 1.15 HTML pre-processor
(old, but it works just fine) and various perl scripts to create
the deveopment site, or parts thereof. In other words I write as
little HTML as possible.

Ditto. I use XML for the content, and parse and process it with Perl into
HTML. All things that the Perl script can solve it does (like finding out
the values for width and height attributes for the img element).

Another script creates the RSS feed (it extracts the title from the page,
and uses it as the title for the feed, etc.).

And another script uploads the stuff using plink (part of PuTTY).

And all is kicked into action using ant :)

ant local to update the local version
ant upload to update the local version, and the remote one :)

Adrienne Boswell

Adrienne, my dove, you need a spell-check on your site. It seems to be
the one thing you lack :-(

BB

Thanks, everyone, for having good eyes and pointing out misspellings.
All fixed now.

Phil Payne

Which begs the question: Why are you still with them?
It is hilarious how many people come to newsgroups and complain about their
hosts. MOVE! If you hate them so much, take your business elsewhere.
Problem solved.

Seen demon.service ?

axel

In uk.net.web.authoring John Bokma said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
Thanks Axel, I have been working today like crazy to update it to 2.0 and
fix some minor issues with the 1.3.x version.

Niks te danken :)
It depends a lot on what you want, I don't want most of my sites to
become visible on the LAN :)

I see your point.
Ditto. I use XML for the content, and parse and process it with
Perl into HTML. All things that the Perl script can solve it does
(like finding out the values for width and height attributes for
the img element).

I suppose my approach came from something I originally some years ago.
We wanted to scan, cut and paste press releases from a specific market
area. I found the simplest approach was for those who did it was to fill
in a blank file with two or three lines starting with '#' indicating the
title, possible subtitle and company. Such a brain-dead scan, copy and
paste thing that anyone could do it.

Obviously formatting and clickable URLs were lost, but it was a free
service and if more was wanted, it could be paid for.

Originally it had been an experimental thing with actual HTML files
being filled in (a 3-stage business process... test something in raw
HTML, if it is found of interest move to a script, and then finally
to a database if decided worthwhile).

That was interesting especially when someone, ok, mea culpa, was
rushed/lazy and forget to replace the text 'XXX' markers that had
been set up for cut-and-paste. The result: Many hits from over the
world on a press release of little interest to anyone outside a
limited audience from all over the world and offers to buy the
URL... not the domain, but specifically the individual deep URL.
We were bemused, but then found out why... on a search engine search
for 'XXX' (I think it was Yahoo... it might have been Alta Vista)
it was turning up in the top ten results.
Another script creates the RSS feed (it extracts the title from the page,
and uses it as the title for the feed, etc.).
And another script uploads the stuff using plink (part of PuTTY).

I use scp (well, we use different OS's)... I make an initial copy and
then ssh in and run an update (delete and move files) script.
And all is kicked into action using ant :)

Yes... that makes a lot of sense.

Although where do you find the time to do all this!? I'm still behind
uploading a few cat photos taken over a month ago... ag, I'm just a
lazy toad (my tutor at university always called me that).

Axel

John Bokma

Niks te danken :)

:) I should try to reply to messages when I mark them as todo at least
within a short time frame :) Anyway, the 2.0 version is up, still
working on PHP though.

[..]
I suppose my approach came from something I originally some years ago.

:) I once started my own macro language based on LaTeX somewhere in
1997. Later I dropped that approach, and used mostly plain text with
subtle hints, and a smarter parser. Much later (2003) I started to move
to XML but for various reasons it took me almost a year to start using
it in combination with Perl for my johnbokma.com site. The
castleamber.com site still uses the plain text approach.

[..]
That was interesting especially when someone, ok, mea culpa, was
rushed/lazy and forget to replace the text 'XXX' markers that had
been set up for cut-and-paste. The result: Many hits from over the
world on a press release of little interest to anyone outside a
limited audience from all over the world and offers to buy the
URL... not the domain, but specifically the individual deep URL.
We were bemused, but then found out why... on a search engine search
for 'XXX' (I think it was Yahoo... it might have been Alta Vista)
it was turning up in the top ten results.

:) I have a picture with a horse on my site, and one of the comments
has xxx (as kisses). And yes, I get people looking for horse xxx (I
guess that's special pr0n to get stallions in the mood in horse breeding
programs?)
I use scp (well, we use different OS's)... I make an initial copy and
then ssh in and run an update (delete and move files) script.

Somewhere on my todo list is: find new files, tar those, gzip, and use
plink to tar zx them in the web directory. Currently quite some time is
wasted in building up the connection and breaking it. Not a big issue
though with 10 files, but with 30+ it eats up a lot of time.
Yes... that makes a lot of sense.

Ant is weird at first, but it has some nice things. I also use it to
pack perl modules + script(s) + other files into a zip file and mail it
to a customer in one go.
Although where do you find the time to do all this!? I'm still behind
uploading a few cat photos taken over a month ago... ag, I'm just a
lazy toad (my tutor at university always called me that).

By trying to post less on Usenet. But I have a huge "stack" of digital
photos that I have to put on line some day, and countless of pages I
still have to write.

And lazy is good, makes excellent programmers or scientists/engineers in
general. Always looking for shortcuts, so there is more time to do fun
things.