Slightly OT: Resume Advice

Mike

If you think an MS Cert is worthless, then isn't the MVP award that you
proudly parade in the NG even more worthless? Anyone with Google and a
newsreader can help people long enough to get that. It doesn't even
require a test! It's FREE!

LOL

I think years ago the certs(all certs, MS, Novell, Cisco, etc), MVP, etc
actually meant something. But today they're pointless. Anyone that knows how
to use google these days can pass a test to get certified.

I'm not sure how te MVP works so, I can't say anything on that

Mark, how does the MVP work that you display in your signature?

Mark Rae [MVP]

If you think an MS Cert is worthless,

I do - I really do...
then isn't the MVP award that you proudly parade in the NG even more
worthless? Anyone with Google and a newsreader can help people long enough
to get that. It doesn't even require a test! It's FREE!

But there's really only one way to get it, though - you can't just download
it for a few dollars...
I'm not saying it *alone* can/should get you a job. I'm just saying it's
worth adding to your resume as something else that can help you stand out.

Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on that...
MCSD,MCAD,MCSE,MCP+I,CNE,CNA,CCNA

'Proudly parading', eh...? Hmm - glass houses...? :)

Mark Rae [MVP]

That reminds me of the standing joke :

Question :What do MCSE's do ?
Answer : MCSE's ask the questions which MVPs answer.

LOL!

Or the other one...

Q - What do MCSEs do?
A - Sorry, what version was that...?

Mike

interesting thanks.

so this is something you have to earn, so its like what we say in the custom
truck world "built not bought", this is like

"earned not bought or downloaded."

very cool

sloan

Mike.

I agree with your post firstoff.

I just had to point out one small syntax error that kinda made me laugh.

I'm looking at pass projects
//End Quote

I know you meant "past" , but I let my mind go with "pass".

Interviewer: "So tell me about all the projects you have passed on"
Interviewee: "Oh yeah, there was this great WebApp that had to support 1000
simultaneous users, and it used WCF ..... and scaled really well....Yeah, I
passed on that one".
Interviewer: "Wow, that sounds great".

Sorry man, it just struck me as funny.

I kinda play the bad-cop role during the interview process. as you say "If
its on your resume, then boom, I'm hitting you with some mid-to-hard
questions".

Mike

LOL

sloan said:
Mike.

I agree with your post firstoff.

I just had to point out one small syntax error that kinda made me laugh.

I'm looking at pass projects
//End Quote

I know you meant "past" , but I let my mind go with "pass".

Interviewer: "So tell me about all the projects you have passed on"
Interviewee: "Oh yeah, there was this great WebApp that had to support
1000 simultaneous users, and it used WCF ..... and scaled really
well....Yeah, I passed on that one".
Interviewer: "Wow, that sounds great".

Sorry man, it just struck me as funny.

I kinda play the bad-cop role during the interview process. as you say
"If its on your resume, then boom, I'm hitting you with some mid-to-hard
questions".

Aidy

I would first look at your resume. If you have the skill set listed on your
resume and your work experience matched what you had listed, meaning, I
don't want to see C# listed under skills but no where listed in your work
experience, If I see a technology listed under skills, I want to see where
and how you used it.

Good point. If you put a skill on a resume/cv that you have only had
exposure to it'll only put you in a bad light in the eyes of the
interviewer. If you have 10 skills listed and are caught out that you once
looked over someone's shoulder and saw them do some TSQL the interviewer
will then wonder how many of the other skills you've only had exposure of
but can't be bothered testing you on them all to find out.

Mike

Well there's really only one way to get a cert. Passing many tests

or buy the tests and answers online and just have a really good memory

Steve

Whether you get a cert by buying the answers, or get an MVP by using
Google, any credential you get can be scrutinized and stripped of value.
I've never met a cert cheater, but I have met a lot of honest people who
worked hard for their certs.

The best we can hope for is that MS continues cracking down on test
cheating, or changes certs so it's not just a "test". These
"Interactive" questions are a good start, but it's got to get better
than that.

Steve C.
MCSD,MCAD,MCSE,MCP+I,CNE,CNA,CCNA

rowe_newsgroups

send me over your resume and I'll take a look at it

Hi Mike, did my email go through? I've had problems in the past with
"lost" emails and wanted to confirm that it went through.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks,

Seth Rowe

rowe_newsgroups

no I never got it.
I'll send you one to your email and just reply back to it

Okay, just sent out try number two. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks,

Seth Rowe