Slow application start but just the first time

Peter Rank

Hi!

I'm using Java JRE1.6.0_06 on Windows XP, but not as an installed
version. I just copied the whole directory and call java.exe to start
my application.
The application is a Swing application that uses many libraries and at
the first start (after computer reboot) it lasts approx 30 seconds
until the login-screen appears.
After closing the application and start it again it lasts
apporximately just 2 seconds until the login-screen appears.

I've had a look in the directory where my installed java version put
the object cache files but there are no files that has been changed
after the start of my application.

Does anyone know why java starts so much faster the second time? Is it
possible to do something to start my application everytime, also after
a reboot, as fast as in my second trials?

Many thanks
Peter

Thomas Kellerer

Peter Rank, 12.12.2008 11:48:
Does anyone know why java starts so much faster the second time? Is it
possible to do something to start my application everytime, also after
a reboot, as fast as in my second trials?

This is a normal behaviour for _any_ application.

Windows simply caches all the library files (dll, jar files) that the application reads from the disk during startup. I don't think there is a lot you can do about.

Thomas