Slow Loading ASP.NET application

Sanjay Pais

We are setting up our new environment with our hosting providers.
We have a Quad Core Windows 2003 Server with 12 GB RAM
We have a Load balancer with 2 web servers and a database server. The
website and the code are stored on a SAN.

The problem we are facing is that the app pool takes very long to load >
20sec
We have another dual core windows 2003 server where it loads in 5 secs. This
is
a 64bit database server at our current hosting provider.

we noticed that the ASP.NET Web site takes really long to load. When
comparing
it with load tests we did on our current server it loaded in under 5 secs.
To time the load, I recycle the application pool and launch the browser from
my desktop. I also tried launcing the website from the server after making
an
entry in the hosts file.

I have tried Process Mon, File Mon to try and identify why the application
is taking so long to load. but have not managed to get very far. We did try
and pull out the Enterprise Library assemblies and that did account for 10
secs.

I also tried moving the code to the local disk, as well as using a different
user
(administrative priveliges) etc.

I am running out of ideas and any suggestions are welcome.

Let me know if you need anymore information.

Cheers

Sanjay

zzzxtreme

try disabling indexing on the folder, or totally disabling windows
indexing service

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Sanjay,

Which .NET edition do u use? 32bit or 64 bit?

try to install .NET 64 bit version and compare performance

---
WBR,

SP> We are setting up our new environment with our hosting providers.
SP> We have a Quad Core Windows 2003 Server with 12 GB RAM
SP> We have a Load balancer with 2 web servers and a database server.
SP> The
SP> website and the code are stored on a SAN.
SP> The problem we are facing is that the app pool takes very long to
SP> load >
SP> 20sec
SP> We have another dual core windows 2003 server where it loads in 5
SP> secs. This
SP> is
SP> a 64bit database server at our current hosting provider.
SP> we noticed that the ASP.NET Web site takes really long to load. When
SP> comparing
SP> it with load tests we did on our current server it loaded in under 5
SP> secs.
SP> To time the load, I recycle the application pool and launch the
SP> browser from
SP> my desktop. I also tried launcing the website from the server after
SP> making
SP> an
SP> entry in the hosts file.
SP> I have tried Process Mon, File Mon to try and identify why the
SP> application is taking so long to load. but have not managed to get
SP> very far. We did try and pull out the Enterprise Library assemblies
SP> and that did account for 10 secs.
SP>
SP> I also tried moving the code to the local disk, as well as using a
SP> different
SP> user
SP> (administrative priveliges) etc.
SP> I am running out of ideas and any suggestions are welcome.
SP>
SP> Let me know if you need anymore information.
SP>
SP> Cheers
SP>
SP> Sanjay

bruce barker

this is why you want stats logging in you application. if you see a big
difference, between servers and no cpu load, then most likely its a network
connection problem. put timing around all network requests (database calls).
if they seem hign, then you can run network traces to look for timeouts/
slowdowns

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Sanjay Pais

Turns out the application blocks were querying clr.microsoft.com which
accounted for ther slow load. Access to the internet is blocked on the
server.