High Utilization ASP.NET Application - IMMEDIATE HELP!

dm3281

Hello, all.

I have 4 web servers in a farm using network load balancing service.

All the web applications (there are about 50+ per server) are using ASP.NET
1.1.

I have two apppools setup with most of our apps in a custom app pool to
recycle memory every 800MB.

The server is running under vmware.

We recently did an upgrade to our application software a few weeks ago and
have had a lot of customer complaints about timeouts and junk.

One of the things I'm not seeing is higher than normal utilization. For
brief periods of time, I see the CPU go to 100% for 10-15 secs.

Looking at Task Manager, I see two worker processes running and one is
usually 55% or more which is causing the CPU to spike.

There has to be a particualr ASP.NET application that is using more CPU than
other ASP.NET applications. How can I monitor this on my server? I tried
using ProcExplorer from SysInternals and do not see were it shows me
anything more than Task Manager for this.

Most of our ASP.NET applications are in virtual directories named...
APPNAME1, APPNAME2, APPNAME3, APPNAME4, APPNAME5, etc. How can I
determine if APPNAME3 is killing the CPU?

Also, should/can I create additional apppools for each of the applications
(maybe categorize the apps into a their own related appool) and somehow
monitor CPU from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

this handy monitoring is left out of .net. more app pools will help narrow
down the offending site. you could also add performance monitoring to you
sites. log the cpu used per request. unless you set aspcompat - it will be
an estimate due to thread switching.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)