Solutions to "C Programing Language"

coolcatjon

Hey guys-

I've decided to learn me some C, as any hacker must :)

So I've got a C compiler handy, and I've downloaded the book by
Kernergan and Richie that was recommended to me...

One bad thing tho is it doesn't have solutions printed at the back, so
what I'd like is to have a solutions manual to look at, instead of
spending a lot of time thinking about each of the examples.

Does anyone know a site with the solutions manual?

TIA!

CC Jon

jacob navia

Hey guys-

I've decided to learn me some C, as any hacker must :)

So I've got a C compiler handy, and I've downloaded the book by
Kernergan and Richie that was recommended to me...

The book is NOT available for download. You got it in an illegal
fashion.

One bad thing tho is it doesn't have solutions printed at the back, so
what I'd like is to have a solutions manual to look at, instead of
spending a lot of time thinking about each of the examples.

Ahhh
It didn't occur to you that the objective of the
exercises is precisely to make you think?

But obviously you have lost this capacity long long ago.
Does anyone know a site with the solutions manual?

GO AWAY!

Mike Wahler

Hey guys-

I've decided to learn me some C, as any hacker must :)

So I've got a C compiler handy, and I've downloaded the book by
Kernergan and Richie that was recommended to me...

Then you've just participated (perhaps unknowingly)
in theft of intellectual property. K&R (2nd edition)
is an extremely good choice of books for learning C,
but please purchase a legitimate copy so that the folks
who did the work are justly compensated. Also, when
learning a new subject, imo more than one information
source is desirable. See www.accu.org for peer reviews
and recommendations.
One bad thing tho is it doesn't have solutions printed at the back, so
what I'd like is to have a solutions manual to look at, instead of
spending a lot of time thinking about each of the examples.

Does anyone know a site with the solutions manual?

There isn't a solutions manual that I'm aware of. I suggest that
an excellent way to learn would be to try to do the exercises,
and if you get stuck, post your code here with your accompanying
questions. And even if your solution does seem to be correct,
post it anyway, and ask for constructive criticism. IMO you'll
learn far more than comparing your answers to 'canned' ones.
Virtually all the exercises can be done in several ways. Creating
your own will help you develop your critical thinking skills.

-Mike

jacob navia

Mike Wahler wrote:

[snip good advice]

That's a better answer than mine. Maybe I got carried away.
At least you do not get excited about him.

Fred

The book is NOT available for download. You got it in an illegal
fashion.

I believe you should be a little more cautious before throwing around
accusations like that. There *are* ebooks that are legally available to
download from the publishers... now, I'm not sure whether or not K&R is
available in that format, but it's quite possible.
Ahhh
It didn't occur to you that the objective of the
exercises is precisely to make you think?

But obviously you have lost this capacity long long ago.

GO AWAY!

Of course you are right that it's much better to try the exercizes
before looking for solutions. The OP seems to me like someone who's
young and a bit immature, full of himself to be sure, but enthusiastic,
and gentle correction might yield more fruit than aggression.

As it happens, there is an (incomplete) collection of solutions to K&R2,
maintained by one of the regular posters here:
http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/krx123.html
Well worth studying the solutions there - *after* trying the exercizes
for yourself, of course.

Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:37:43 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
So I've got a C compiler handy, and I've downloaded the book by
Kernergan and Richie that was recommended to me...

Others have pointed out that the book isn't legally available for d/l,
so I'll say no more about it.
One bad thing tho is it doesn't have solutions printed at the back, so
what I'd like is to have a solutions manual to look at, instead of
spending a lot of time thinking about each of the examples.

Er, its kinda the point - you're /supposed/ to think about the
examples...
Does anyone know a site with the solutions manual?

Search the fine web. Seriously - its the very first hit.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

jacob navia

Fred wrote:
[snip]
You are right. I got carried away, but I just do not like this
attitude of young people trying to avoid thinking like it
was an horrible thing. And no, there is no way to get that
book besides downloading it from some illegal site.

But we should have patience with young people. Teach them
rather than yelling them around. My answer was inappropriate.

Richard Heathfield

Mike Wahler said:

There isn't a [K&R2] solutions manual that I'm aware of.

Tondo and Gimpel (dead tree); clc-wiki (er, undead tree?)

But yes, the whole point is for the OP to give it a go himself, rather than
reach for pre-canned answers.

Richard Tobin

Mike Wahler said:
Then you've just participated (perhaps unknowingly)
in theft of intellectual property.

You mean "violation of copyright".

Theft involves the intent to deprive the owner of the thing taken.
Violating copyright does not deprive the author of his "intellectual
property"; at most it deprives him of putative income from it.

-- Richard

Richard Heathfield

Fred said:

There *are* ebooks that are legally available to
download from the publishers... now, I'm not sure whether or not K&R is
available in that format, but it's quite possible.

I *am* sure - it is not legally available in electronic form. Every now and
again I come across an online version, and report the URL to Prentice
Hall. They have people to deal with that sort of thing.

As it happens, there is an (incomplete) collection of solutions to K&R2,
maintained by one of the regular posters here:
http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/krx123.html

Please don't go there, as it is no longer maintained by anyone. Go here
instead: http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/K&R2_solutions

CBFalconer

jacob said:
Mike Wahler wrote:

[snip good advice]

That's a better answer than mine. Maybe I got carried away.
At least you do not get excited about him.

To control those urges, I suggest you use your Thunderbird
offline. Then you can synchronize and go offline. Your answers
will be held until you go back online again, giving you time to
reconsider, modify, or delete.

Joachim Schmitz

Mike Wahler said:
There isn't a solutions manual that I'm aware of.
I got 2 hits on amazon.com
"The C Answer Book, Solutions to the Exercises in The C Programming Language
2nd Edition (Paperback)"

Bye, Jojo

Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:38:45 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
Maybe you get different hits when you can't spell either Kernighan or
Ritchie :)

Huh? I rarely have trouble spelling "K&R"....

:)
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan