    I'm learning C right now as my first language(I've done functions, loops, data types, if/else), and I'm wondering if I'm going the right path. I've heard alot of good stuff about C, like how it's super fast and simple to learn. I've also heard alot of bad stuff about how it's old, busted, and non-object oriented. I'm a linux user(Arch/Gentoo), and I want to get started on a project after I'm done learning. I want to join an operating system project and help in it and stuff(I really like the whole idea of operating systems and how many layers it has), but I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff so I could learn what I need.

    What do you guys think is the benifit of learning C first? What would be a drawback?(BTW: I'm totally fine with the manual memory thing(it turns me on(I know that's a bit weird, but I'm a linux geek)) and I'm willing to learnit). What would be some good sources of learning? What practices should I avoid? What OS projects would be good for a beginner?
    , May 21, 2014

  2. Stefan Ram Guest

    I will be done learning C the day I die.
    If you already know that you want to do something where some
    language is the most important language, than it is best to
    immediately start learning that language, without learning
    another language before it.
    Stefan Ram, May 21, 2014

  3. I suggest learning Java first. There are (intentionally) many
    similarities between Java and C. Java will help you learn much
    of what you need to learn such that when you do learn C, it
    will go much easier.

    More specifically, there are two "teaching styles" used with Java,
    called "objects early" and "objects last". If your real interest
    is C, then learning "objects last" will get you in the right
    direction. (You can even quit Java and switch to C when you get
    to objects, but it is probably better not to do that.)

    Java is much better at catching and reporting many common errors
    of beginning programmers. Once you learn to avoid those, you will
    be in better shape to learn C.
    Well, you can write object-oriented code in any language.
    The OO languages have provisions to make it easier, though.
    I never got so interested in operating systems, but I did get
    interested in compilers pretty early.

    -- glen
    glen herrmannsfeldt, May 21, 2014
  4. Omar Radwan Guest

    I've seen some Java code and I know some basic syntax, no offense, but I'm not very fond of Java, because everything you write is a class that turns into an object. I also would rather much use something compiled, instead of a virtual machine thing.
    Omar Radwan, May 21, 2014
  5. Well, you can write your whole program as one class, and mostly
    not do much with objects. The String class is pretty useful, and so
    you probably have to use it, but it isn't so hard to use. Many others
    are also useful, but it is your choice to use them or not.
    Java is compiled. The processor that it compiles for is sometimes
    interpreted, though the JIT compiler makes the run time darn close
    to code compiled for your actual processor. There have been
    hardware chips that execute JVM code directly, though not recently.

    But unless it is too slow, which it usually isn't, what are
    you complaining about?

    -- glen
    glen herrmannsfeldt, May 21, 2014
  6. Kaz Kylheku Guest

    You are.

    Normally, I would recomment English as a good language to learn first (or next)
    for the average troglodyte who posts here, but you seem okay in that
    C is simple to learn. C is not quite so simple to learn to use effectively,
    while avoiding pitfalls.
    Object-oriented programs can be written in C: you get to design the plumbing
    of your own object system. There is little support from the language.

    Some C programs exhibit considerable OO design, with patterns which are closely
    analogous to inheritance, encapsulation and polymorphism. For instance,
    numerous areas of the Linux kernel.
    The benefit of learning C is that it's the most successful representative and
    descendant of that family of languages which includes Pascal, Modula, Algol and
    their ilk. Once you learn C, you have that whole thing covered.

    C has become ubiquitous for expressing system level programming interfaces, so
    if you understand C declaration syntax, that is helpful when using other
    languages, which necessarily have to have bindings to C interfaces for
    sheer survival.
    The C Programming Language (second edition, Kernighan and Ritchie)
    C: A Reference Manual (Harbison and Steele)
    C Traps and Pitfalls (Andrew Koenig)

    (this is a book based on a much shorter paper from 1989 of the same name).
    Xinu, Minix, ...
    Kaz Kylheku, May 21, 2014
  7. David Brown Guest

    I would say that learning C is one of two sensible approaches. The
    other is to learn Python.

    C is typically the language of choice for low-level programming - OS's,
    low-level utilities, libraries, drivers, embedded systems, etc. It is
    what you use when you want the best out of the machine, and are willing
    to put in the effort.

    C is not too hard to learn roughly - it's a small language. But takes
    quite a bit of experience to learn to write efficient, safe, reliable
    and (at least reasonably) portable programs.

    Python is at the other end of the scale. It is a very high level
    language, and has standard libraries for all sorts of stuff. It is
    quick and easy to write small scripts in Python, and it excels at
    handling strings and files. It is therefore very important as a "glue"
    language for the small tasks needed to keep everything together. But it
    also works well for larger programs and supports object oriented
    programming and various safety features, and is used heavily in web servers.

    Python is easy to get started with, as it is interpreted and you get a
    lot of high-level structures and libraries included. But it is
    generally significantly slower than C (though there are exceptions). It
    is quick for programming, but slow to run.

    As another poster says, a lot depends on what you want to do with your
    programming language. If you've got particular tasks in mind, look at
    them before deciding. And if you want to contribute to existing
    projects, be prepared to spend a lot of effort learning the project in
    question - that can be a bigger task than learning the basics of the
    language. Certainly Linux kernel work is an art unto itself - you can
    have programmed C for 30 years and still have trouble understanding it
    or spotting the subtleties.
    David Brown, May 21, 2014
  8. luser droog Guest

    Hear, hear!
    luser droog, May 21, 2014
  9. BartC Guest

    If you're using Linux and want to do OS work (presumably associated with
    Linux) then I don't think there's any alternative to learning C. (Which is
    also a good prerequisite to learning other similar languages; a bit like
    learning to drive with a manual gear shift.)
    There is a newsgroup alt.os.development where some guys hang out who do work
    on OSes (I think, writing their own). They might have some ideas.
    BartC, May 21, 2014
  10. James Harris Guest

    The OP linked learning a language to getting involved in OS development.
    Were you thinking he could use Java to develop an OS or just as a first step
    before learning C or another language?

    James Harris, May 21, 2014
  11. James Harris Guest

    C should be a great first language for someone who wants to learn
    programming. Rather than hiding internals C lets the programmer work with
    many real implementation details. A programmer who wants to learn C first
    would get a reasonably good understanding of what a computer actually does
    when executing a program. That can only stand the programmer in good stead
    for learning other languages, if necessary. There are lots of examples of
    low-level concepts such as:

    * C's data types map to hardware
    * C includes an unsigned type (not all languages do)
    * C's function calls have explicit parameters (no hidden keyword mechanism)
    * C's operators and constructs map to machine instructions
    * C's pointer types are unadorned

    At the same time C does abstract somewhat from base hardware: automatic type
    conversions, less than total control over struct layout, no control over
    call mechanism etc. But apart from an assembly language I don't know any
    good language which gives better control.
    The only important thing I can think of that C lacks is support for separate
    namespaces. Other things can be written in as needed.
    That is a really important point. A great deal of documentation is expressed
    in C such as manpages and code snippets in books and online. That alone
    makes it a language that programmers should know in order to understand info
    supplied by others and to use to express info to fellow programmers.
    A great suggestion, IMO, at least for someone who has programmed before.
    Would you say it is also good for someone to learn programming from?

    Some sources of info

    Usenet newsgroup alt.os.development (as Bartc already suggested)

    James Harris, May 21, 2014
  12. Vijay WroX Guest

    Hi OP,
    There have been several great replies and suggestions already. So, I'm justgoing to give 3 suggestions for you to start on as those are what I started with:
    1. K & R The C Programming Language book
    2. Operating System - Design and Implementation by Andrew S Tanenbaum book
    3. OSDev.org wiki pages

    As a fourth, I'd suggest start with a cute Linux OS such as Ubuntu or use Cygwin if you love Windows. Command line and programming always make you learn a lot of important nuances like the warnings, errors and why they happen..

    Good luck
    Vijay WroX, May 21, 2014
  13. I wouldn't, though it is better than many (the examples strike a
    reasonable balance between too complex and too silly) but most beginners
    find it way too terse.

    The trouble is that books that teach programming are rare, and good ones
    that teach programming are spectacularly rare. And I don't know any
    that use C, good or bad.

    In fact this brings up another problem. C seems to the language every
    programmer knows, and almost all of the seem to have written a terrible
    tutorial about it on the web! There is probably more bad source
    material about C than about any other language, and it's tricky, when
    learning, to pick your way though all the crud.

    I don't have much help to offer except that I'd strongly advice the OP
    to learn several languages at once. You soon find out that the language
    is not usually the hard part. The hard part is designing the program
    within the constraints of the language, and that skill is pretty much
    universal. You also avoid the danger of thinking in C -- the trick is
    to think in terms of programs that map into C.

    Ben Bacarisse, May 21, 2014
  14. Stefan Ram Guest

    I'd advice exactly the contrary! Learning several languages
    at once makes learning more difficult. For example,
    bilingual children are less fluent in each language
    according to some tests. For another example, the term
    »object« has a different meaning in C than in Java, but most
    of those who have learned Java and C at the same time cannot
    give the correct definition of »object« in C.
    When one already has learned most of the language, this is
    easy to say.
    The best C programmers think and dream in C, and ignore all
    distractions, such as other programming languages, except
    when writing an implementation for another language in C.
    Stefan Ram, May 21, 2014
  15. I don't know that learning simple artificial languages as an adult
    compares to learning natural language as a baby. I suspect that even
    the end measure -- fluency is a completely different thing in the two
    cases. I'll accept your point if there is any evidence linking the two
    modes of learning.
    Maybe, but I say this as someone experienced with teaching both.
    An interesting claim. What's your evidence? (It's OK to have none,
    many things in this area as surmised from nothing more than anecdote
    and persona experience).
    Ben Bacarisse, May 21, 2014
  16. Stefan Ram Guest

    Then we have something in common! Today I will give my next
    Java class, and on the 5th of this November my next C course
    will start (in Berlin, Germany at the Volkshochschule Pankow).
    In this year, I am also giving classes in C++, Android
    programming, SQL, and JavaScript.

    So I do not live up to my own recommendation - that one
    should only learn one language. I'd /prefer/ to do
    everything in a single language only, like, for example, C.
    But this world was forcing me to learn several languages!
    One of the most common misconceptions about programming is
    the idea that there were »language-independent algorithms«
    or designs that one then can just implement in any language.

    Instead, when designing the same program for several
    languages, such as C, Haskell, Prolog, and 6502, one needs
    different program designs right from the start! The best
    C program, therefore, is designed right from the start with C
    in mind. To learn more about this mindset, one might read
    on the web: »Code as Design: Three Essays by Jack W. Reeves«.

    For example, the C algorithm to calculate the absolute value
    of a number x is: »#include <math.h> and then call fabs«.
    The 6502 algorithm to do the same would be more complicated.
    Stefan Ram, May 21, 2014
  17. Kaz Kylheku Guest

    For someone who has programmed before, perhaps.

    "Algorithms in C" by Robert Sedgewick also comes to mind, by the way.

    If you're learning how to program and need to know about algorithms,
    and are choosing C, then it makes sense to have a book about that subject
    which uses C. Almost a no brainer.
    Kaz Kylheku, May 21, 2014
  18. The Open GL programmers' guide famously glossed C as "God's own programming language".
    It's almost perfect as an abstraction of a general assembler.

    All procedural languages perform arithmetical or logical operations, copy memory from
    one location to another, and allow conditional jumps, plus some mechanism for jumping to
    a passed address.
    You need a slight layer over those to have a usable, non-assembly language, such as
    an infix expression syntax, named variables with scoping, and a subroutine call mechanism.
    But that's all you really need.
    The core C language provides what you need, and no more. So if you're thinking of an
    algorithm you'll think of it in C terms - usually, in terms of a graph connected by pointers,
    and operations on that graph.
    Malcolm McLean, May 21, 2014
  19. David Brown Guest

    Of course there are language-independent algorithms and program designs,
    but it is also true that the algorithms and design you use is likely to
    be strongly influenced by the programming language targeted.

    It often makes sense to think in terms of programming paradigms rather
    than programming languages. The way you design an algorithm in C and in
    Haskell is likely to be significantly different, but the algorithm in C
    and Pascal is likely to be very similar (both are imperative languages)
    while the algorithm in Haskell and OCaml will be similar (both are
    functional programming languages). In each case, however, the
    beginnings of the design are the same - you start with pencil and paper,
    or a whiteboard, with a combination of maths, natural language and lines
    and arrows rather than any programming language.
    David Brown, May 21, 2014
  20. BartC Guest

    You seem confused about what an algorithm is. One for determining the
    absolute value of a number is something like:

    abs(x) = if x>=0 then x else -x

    Leaving it to the language to provide an implementation (and decide what to
    do with any corner cases).

    (I assume by 6502, you mean the machine language for that device.)
    BartC, May 21, 2014