Some Noob Questions

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
Java is not that well suited to that sort of work. The low level
OS-specific interfaces are written for C not Java. You need JNI to
access them.

Java supports TCP and UDP fine. I can not really see what OS
specific calls would be needed.

Java does not support ICMP, but the firewall should most likely
just drop those anyway.
> Further, Java apps, or rather the general purpose class libraries,
> tend to be rather fat. You don't really want to have that sitting
> around in RAM 24/7. It is not so much of a problem as RAM prices drop
> though.

At around 10 dollars per GB for cheap memory, then I would consider
it a non existing problem except for older systems.

Arne

Lew

Tom said:
Utter non sequitur. He wasn't asking about server-side stuff in general,
he was specifically asking about building small web apps as a one-man
effort. For that, as someone who makes a living doing server-side java
and has built a few small web-apps as a one-man effort in python, i can
guarantee that python is a better choice. Java is rich in features that
make programming in the large effective - little things like access
control modifiers (python doesn't have 'private'!) and big things like
the J2EE libraries. But it is a bit ungainly for knocking up small
things. Python, on the other hand, is tuned specifically for small things.

As I said, that's a matter of expertise. I've knocked up a few Java web sites
using Tomcat and an open-source database over the last few years, and once
you've learned how it's quite straightforward. I don't find it the least bit
ungainly.

No disrespect for Python, but let's not denigrate Java either.

Tom responded:
'Most people'! Well, i'm [sic] glad we're evaluating languages based on what a
guy you saw at lunch told you about what he heard around the water cooler.

I stipulate that Python is a fine language.

Roedy Green

Not Found

see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#TRANSPORTER

The Transporter does not use JCE. It does everything from first
principles with BigInteger. I wanted it ultra-light weight to use in
an Applet. You can make the encryption keys as long as you want.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"If people become accustomed to lying, they will unconsciously commit every possible wrong deed. Before they can act wickedly, they must lie, and once they begin to lie they will act wickedly without concern."
~ Gautama Buddha

Mike Amling

Roedy said:
see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#TRANSPORTER

The Transporter does not use JCE. It does everything from first
principles with BigInteger. I wanted it ultra-light weight to use in
an Applet. You can make the encryption keys as long as you want.

While I admit I could read the code, let me instead just ask you if
your RSA implementation uses secure padding, such as OAEP?

--Mike Amling

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#TRANSPORTER

The Transporter does not use JCE. It does everything from first
principles with BigInteger. I wanted it ultra-light weight to use in
an Applet. You can make the encryption keys as long as you want.

Given that JCE is part of Java (*), then by using your own code instead
of JCE you actually increase the download size.

Arne

*) JCE has been part of Java since 1.4.0 released in
February 2002. My guess is that very few browsers
has a SUN Java older than that. And MS and NS Java 1.1's
poses problems of their own.