Questions that "Idiot Guides" don't start with..

Joined
Jan 15, 2024
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am struggling with figuring out some basic instructions that I cannot find explanations for.. can you help me please ?

So, I see a cool project someone has kindly posted online & I want to copy it. I buy the gear, go to get the coding & I'm confronted with decisions I have no way of making for myself.

What I naively expect is that I'll have links to libraries for each component to be used (which are referenced in the code) then I download or copy & paste the author's code into the IDE, load it, run &... voila !

No, that's not what happens.

What happens is that there's;

1) a text box/window with code.. so far, so good.. BUT then there's more & more boxes of code to do something extra with.. but it doesn't explain what I do with them.. & I'm stuck.

2) a link to Github, Instructables etc... & I find a page full of files from different dates, years, authors... & I'm stuck.

.. do I add them all together, pick & choose what's more appropriate, ignore the extra boxes & give the 1st box a go ..what ?

I'd be very grateful for any help.
Togs

ps. I read not to include any links to projects..so I haven't.

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
Hello Togs,

Here are some general steps and tips to help you navigate through this process:

  1. Understand the Project Structure:
    • Look for a README file or any documentation that might accompany the code. This can often provide important information on how to set up and use the project.
  2. Dependencies and Libraries:
    • Check for any dependencies or libraries mentioned in the project. Look for installation instructions for these dependencies. This information may be in the README or in comments within the code.
  3. Read through the Code:
    • Take some time to read through the code. Look for comments that explain different sections or functions. Authors often provide useful insights or instructions within the code itself.
  4. Explore External Links:
    • If there are links to external repositories (like GitHub) or documentation, explore them. Look for any additional instructions or updates. Check the README on the external repository for guidance.
  5. Review Issues and Discussions:
    • On platforms like GitHub, look at the Issues section. Users often ask questions and share solutions. This can be a valuable resource if you encounter problems.
  6. Check for Version Compatibility:
    • Ensure that the versions of libraries and dependencies mentioned in the project are compatible with each other. Sometimes, a project might have been developed with specific versions in mind.
  7. Experiment Gradually:
    • When in doubt, try to add components gradually. Start with the core functionality and gradually incorporate additional features or libraries. This can help you identify where issues might arise.
  8. Ask for Help:
    • Don't hesitate to ask for help on forums or community platforms related to the programming language or technology you're using. Many communities are friendly and willing to assist newcomers.
  9. Document Your Steps:
    • As you progress through the project, document the steps you take and any issues you encounter. This documentation can be helpful if you need to seek assistance or if you want to share your experience later.
Remember, the process of understanding and replicating someone else's code is a valuable learning experience, even if it feels challenging at times.

Joined
Jan 15, 2024
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Thanks again Chaos, I appreciate the time it's taken you to explain it.

I have watched hours & hours of YouTube tutorials for beginners but they get super complicated really quickly.. as if they forget the tutorial is for beginners... & project makers assume you know how this stuff & sites like GitHub work.

Then each similar project uses some different component that I don't have or is more complicated than I need it be.

I will try to keep my questions to the minimum... & I will try to share what I've learnt..if/when it works.

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
Thanks again Chaos, I appreciate the time it's taken you to explain it.

I have watched hours & hours of YouTube tutorials for beginners but they get super complicated really quickly.. as if they forget the tutorial is for beginners... & project makers assume you know how this stuff & sites like GitHub work.

Then each similar project uses some different component that I don't have or is more complicated than I need it be.

I will try to keep my questions to the minimum... & I will try to share what I've learnt..if/when it works.
You're very welcome, Togs! Learning to navigate the world of programming and projects can indeed be challenging, but it's great that you're willing to ask questions and share your progress. Remember that it's absolutely okay to ask questions, and the programming community is generally supportive of beginners.

If you encounter any specific challenges or have questions along the way, feel free to reach out. Learning to code is a journey, and it's okay to take it one step at a time. Best of luck with your projects, and don't hesitate to return if you need further assistance or have more questions in the future. Happy coding!