SOT gmail invites

Carl Youngblood

Thomas said:
It's definitely worth the effort :) After all, if we didn't occasionally
take such leaps, we'd all program in FORTRAN or C rather than ruby ;)
I'm sure you were being a little facetious, but I find it hard to
believe that Mutt is as great an improvement over Thunderbird as Ruby is
over Fortran. :)

Thomas Kirchner

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

I'm sure you were being a little facetious, but I find it hard to=20
believe that Mutt is as great an improvement over Thunderbird as Ruby is= =20
over Fortran. :)

Slightly facetious, yeah, I can't imagine anything that's quite that
much of an improvement ;) Still, mutt is definitely worth a bit of time
to check out.
Tom

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--

Anders Engström

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

Carl said:
Yep, I was actually thinking about Thunderbird. I still haven't made=20
the leap to pure text-based email reading.
=20
For what it's worth, I tried mutt, once. I ran, screaming.=20
(Metaphorically speaking.)
=20
[snip]

Also, I pop all my mail, and I haven't had the time to sit down and=20
figure out how to get that to work with mutt.
=20

Well - Mutt isn't really the tool you should use to fetch mail. Mutt is
by definition a Mail Reader Agent. I'd advise you to use fetchmail for
fetching the mail, and procmail for sorting the mail. And Mutt for
reading the mail.

That said - Mutt lacks a lot of features, and the dev-team is really
un-responsive to patches and bug-reports.

But - it's MUA of choise.

//Anders

--=20
=2E . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
=2E Anders Engstr=F6m (e-mail address removed)
=2E http://www.gnejs.net PGP-Key: ED010E7F
=2E [Your mind is like an umbrella. It doesn't work unless you open it.] =
=20

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--

Jamis Buck

Anders said:
Carl said:
Hans Fugal wrote:

Ah, well can tell you're not a mutt user. You're apparently comparing
gmail with a lame threading mail reader (or perhaps to slashdot or
other web forums). I don't blame you for thinking gmail is superior.
If you'd like I can send you a screenshot privately. Mutt does all of
the things you mentioned - sorts threads and subthreads
only read one message at a time, etc.

Yep, I was actually thinking about Thunderbird. I still haven't made
the leap to pure text-based email reading.

For what it's worth, I tried mutt, once. I ran, screaming.
(Metaphorically speaking.)

[snip]

Also, I pop all my mail, and I haven't had the time to sit down and
figure out how to get that to work with mutt.

Well - Mutt isn't really the tool you should use to fetch mail. Mutt is
by definition a Mail Reader Agent. I'd advise you to use fetchmail for
fetching the mail, and procmail for sorting the mail. And Mutt for
reading the mail.

Yah, that's what I remember reading. But why should I bother
learning/installing/configuring fetchmail and procmail AND mutt, when I
could simply use Thunderbird and have it work with minimal configuration?

(That's a rhetorical question, by the way. I know it has to do with
choice, and the ability to use the tools that suit you best, but I'm not
really interested in discussions of the Unix and GNU philosophies, many
of which I don't agree with anyway. But that's an entirely different
subject. :-D)

Dick Davies

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

* Thomas Kirchner said:
On Dec 4 7:55, Jamis Buck wrote:
It really is the vim of editors. =20

I thought vim was the vim of editors?
Also like vim, it has pretty good
default settings (aside from mbox, imho). It's the sort of thing you can
set a few options in, be efficient in working with, and gradually set
options the way you want over the course of... well, forever. I've been
using mutt for a while now and I still find neat new tricks. They're not
necessary things, but they're definitely far above and beyond Thunderbird
or any other mail client.

<nods> You need to learn 5% of its commands for it to be as
good as Your Other Mail Reader.

With mutt and vi, I try to invest an hour a week in checking for an
easier way to do <insert task i find yourself doing daily> , before long
you have a perfectly tailored mailreader.

To those intimidated by the array of options -=20
I have a .muttrc about 90 lines long, that supports pgp and a pretty
complex imap setup, every line is understandable. Bear in mind the .muttrcs
you see online have been built up over years by their owners.

=20
Mutt has built-in pop support that (knowing mutt) should be sufficient,
though I haven't used it. I recommend getmail, a python mail fetcher.
It's also very easy to configure and powerful.

Mutts pop support is great, easy to use and configure.

Only (possible) snag with mutt is requirement on a local mailserver
(well, at least a working copy of /usr/lib/sendmali) to send mail.
Not a showstopper, but one more thing to configure.

--=20
Oh. Your. God. - Bender

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

this place is also a good place to look for invites:

http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

I just my mailing lists over yesterday, and gmail rocks. I'm off
Thunderbird for my mailing lists after just one day.

The conversation view is very useful. BTW- I think gmane.org offers a
conversation view as well.

And the replacement of folders with labels means that you can
multiply-classify posts (e.g. ruby-talk, cool, followup, code).

One last reason too look at it- great example of web ui design. If you
are doing web-apps, I recomend looking at it.

Nick

Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek

My .muttrc is about 5k long. I'd suggest you just start using it, and
when something strikes you as wrong or kludgy, read through the
documentation and look at .muttrc's to see how it could be done
better. It really doesn't take very long before you've got a pretty
nice configuration that you wouldn't trade for any flashy GUI.

Sure, mutt is very configureble and has many nice features. And I am
actually using it.
The problem is it is slow. I would trade some extra features for fast
access over slow lines, fast operation on large mailboxes, easy
accessibility from anywhere.

My mutt setup uses crm114 and contains hundreds of megabytes of mail.
It makes it qute non-portable. It must be at the source of the mail, so
I have to connect through ssh which has poor performance over slower
connection. Also ssh is unfortunately not the standard equipment yet
(it is on everything but Windows).

Yet another problem with mutt is that it is not multithreaded (or does
not use synchronization properly) so it is really slow when operating on
mailboxes containing ~25k messages which do receive new mail.

At the first glance, gmail seems to solve the problem that made me
store my mail on my hardrive in the first place - space. And it solves
the problem that made me hate webmails - speed. All other webmails I
tried were even slower than mutt on 25k mailbox over ssh :/

If I do not find any major gmail drawbacks I am going to move there :)

Thanks

Michal Suchanek

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

[...]

The speed is great. They make good use of dynamic html, and by
transacting in "conversations" instead of single emails, there isn't
that much wire traffic.

Nick

Stefan Schmiedl

My mutt setup uses crm114 and contains hundreds of megabytes of mail.
It makes it qute non-portable. It must be at the source of the mail, so
I have to connect through ssh which has poor performance over slower
connection. Also ssh is unfortunately not the standard equipment yet
(it is on everything but Windows).

When I encounter a "new" windows box, I usually do the
following dance, before anybody can stop me:
- install gvim
- install ruby
- install putty

putty (ssh client for win) is the one search where google's
"I feel lucky" button reliably works for me: search for "putty download"
Yet another problem with mutt is that it is not multithreaded (or does
not use synchronization properly) so it is really slow when operating on
mailboxes containing ~25k messages which do receive new mail.

What can you do with a mailbox (flat folder) with 25k messages
except store them? On my quest for simplicity, I've rigorously
unsubscribed from mailing lists that I've been "saving for later",
as I never looked at them anyways.

regards,
s.

gabriele renzi

Stefan Schmiedl ha scritto:
When I encounter a "new" windows box, I usually do the
following dance, before anybody can stop me:
- install gvim
- install ruby
- install putty

putty (ssh client for win) is the one search where google's
"I feel lucky" button reliably works for me: search for "putty download"

funny this is what I did for a lot of time too, both installing
gvim/ruby/putty and looking for the latest with 'I feel lucky' :)
BTW, I even usually get winscp2 with the same system

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Stefan Schmiedl ha scritto:

funny this is what I did for a lot of time too, both installing
gvim/ruby/putty and looking for the latest with 'I feel lucky' :)
BTW, I even usually get winscp2 with the same system

winscp2. I just looked it up. Sweet! I need that.

Nick

marcus

Hello, I just found this community about 3 weeks ago, and am lurking,
and very slowly starting up with pickaxe (2nd ver) book.

This list has been friendly and entertaining and for that I think all
of you. Like some others on this thread, I use Gmail to receive
messages from this group, in effect making it my *newsreader*.

I have four gmail invites as well. Please feel free to email me
directly, and I'll invite you. My *very* small token of gratitude to
this list.

Thanks,

marcus