Special ascii values

_libra_

Hi, Can someone tell me how to obtein the values of certain especial
characteres like the left arrow or the Start or del key?

Thanks.

Thomas Matthews

_libra_ said:
Hi, Can someone tell me how to obtein the values of certain especial
characteres like the left arrow or the Start or del key?

Thanks.

By definition, the ASCII character set has only 128 characters
defined, 0x00 to 0x7F (NUL to DEL).

Left arrow keys, start keys, alternate, control and shift do
not have ASCII codes. These codes for these keys are platform
specific. Your best direction is to consult a newsgroup about
your platform. See the FAQs and welcome.txt below.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

_libra_

Severian said:
Well, a lot of keyboards have a gay "flag" key or two. I think Windows
users call them "Start" keys.
sorry, im not english so i suposed it was the correct translation, but i
think it is called the HOME key.

Kenneth Brody

_libra_ wrote:
[...]
sorry, im not english so i suposed it was the correct translation, but i
think it is called the HOME key.

The point they are trying to make is that there is no such thing as
"ASCII values" for keys that are not defined my the ASCII table.

For example, on one type of terminal I've used, the up-arrow will
send a control-K (0x0b), and on another it will send a sequence
of three characters (0x1b, '[', 'A'). According to my termcap
files, there are terminals that send control-Z (0x1a) and others
that send the two-character sequence 0x1b, '\' or 0x1b, 'A' or
even the sequence 0x1b, 'R', 'I'.

Now, since you appear to be asking about the Windows platform, you
can ask one of the Windows-specific newsgroups for how to do this
in a Windows-specific way, and they may be able to help there.

Dan Pop

In said:
Hi, Can someone tell me how to obtein the values of certain especial
characteres like the left arrow or the Start or del key?

These are special keys, but they don't generate special characters.
They typically generate sequences of characters, starting with ASCII ESC.

The Delete key may be a special case and generate the 0x7f (127) character
code (ASCII DEL).

As these things are very platform specific, if you can't find anything
helpful in your documentation, try posting to a newsgroup dedicated to
your platform.

Dan

Dan Pop

In said:
What kind of keyboard *has* a "Start" key?

Most likely, yours, if you're using a reasonably recent PC. It's the
key with the Windows logo, that pops up the "Start" menu when pressed and
released alone in Windows ;-)

The OP might have meant the "Home" key, however (it has different names on
certain keyboard layouts, like "Inicio" on Spanish and Southern American
keyboards).

Dan

_libra_

_libra_ said:
Hi, Can someone tell me how to obtein the values of certain especial
characteres like the left arrow or the Start or del key?

Thanks.

ok, thank you-

Mac

Well, a lot of keyboards have a gay "flag" key or two. I think Windows
^^^
Is this a typo?

[snip]

If it's not a typo, what do you mean? There is a rainbow colored flag that
symbolizes gay (as in homosexual) freedom, but the Windows flag doesn't
resemble that flag as far as I can tell.

--Mac

Richard Heathfield

Joona said:
What kind of keyboard *has* a "Start" key?

See parallel replies. (The keyboard I am using right now has a Home key, but
no Windows keys of any kind.)

BTW the Atari ST has "Help" and "Undo" keys, both of which are sorely
lacking on a typical PC keyboard.

IIRC the DT22 and the Trend both had overscore keys, as opposed to
underscore. But that might just be nostalgic dementia setting in.

Severian

See parallel replies. (The keyboard I am using right now has a Home key, but
no Windows keys of any kind.)

BTW the Atari ST has "Help" and "Undo" keys, both of which are sorely
lacking on a typical PC keyboard.

IIRC the DT22 and the Trend both had overscore keys, as opposed to
underscore. But that might just be nostalgic dementia setting in.

ASR33 and KSR33 had "Here is" and "Rubout" keys. Memories, memories of
110 baud and ALL CAPS...

At least I'm too young to have used Baudot.

CBFalconer

Mac said:
[snip]

If it's not a typo, what do you mean? There is a rainbow colored
flag that symbolizes gay (as in homosexual) freedom, but the
Windows flag doesn't resemble that flag as far as I can tell.

This pushes one of my many annoyances. In my life I have seen the
perfectly good word "gay", meaning carefree and happy,
misappropriated to mean homosexual, and the word "Christian",
meaning someone in the broad family of believers in Christ,
misappropriated to mean a member of the radical and evangelical
religious right.

Meanwhile a collection of perfectly usable four letter profanities
have become commonplace, and are routinely emitted with impunity
by those innocent young things.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
.... snip ...

See parallel replies. (The keyboard I am using right now has a
Home key, but no Windows keys of any kind.)

BTW the Atari ST has "Help" and "Undo" keys, both of which are
sorely lacking on a typical PC keyboard.

Furrfu. I go out of my way to find old keyboards without any of
those so-called windows keys, and a full width space bar that I
can pound from anywhere.

Richard Bos

Richard Heathfield said:
See parallel replies. (The keyboard I am using right now has a Home key, but
no Windows keys of any kind.)

Off-topically, where did you find a useful thing like that? KNode is not
available for the Mac, is it? Last time I saw a keyboard without those
irritating get-in-the-way keys, it was a pull-out designed to be screwed
into a server cabinet, not very useful for a desktop computer :-(

Richard

Martin Dickopp

Severian said:
ASR33 and KSR33 had "Here is" and "Rubout" keys. Memories, memories of
110 baud and ALL CAPS...

As a child, I used a keybord which had "Hop", "Rubout", and "Rubin"
keys. "Hop" was a prefix key which made the next key stronger,
e.g. while "Rubout" deleted a character, "Hop" followed by "Rubout"
was used to delete a line. "Rubin" was the equivalent of the modern
"Insert" key.

Martin

pete

Richard said:
See parallel replies.
(The keyboard I am using right now has a Home key, but
no Windows keys of any kind.)

BTW the Atari ST has "Help" and "Undo" keys, both of which are sorely
lacking on a typical PC keyboard.

IIRC the DT22 and the Trend both had overscore keys, as opposed to
underscore. But that might just be nostalgic dementia setting in.

I use a 1993 Lexmark Model M.

Kenneth Brody

Severian wrote:
[...]
ASR33 and KSR33 had "Here is" and "Rubout" keys.

I forget what the "here is" key sent, but the "rubout" sent 0x7f, which
was used to "rub out" a character from the punch tape by punching all
of the holes.
Memories, memories of 110 baud and ALL CAPS...

.... and friends who could whistle into the accoustic coupler and make
the teletype react. (No, he couldn't get anything but random characters
to print.)

Is it a bad sign that I can still read paper tape from [AK]SR33s? (Though
nowhere near as fast as I once did.)
At least I'm too young to have used Baudot.

Ditto.

Kenneth Brody

CBFalconer wrote:
[...]
Furrfu. I go out of my way to find old keyboards without any of
those so-called windows keys, and a full width space bar that I
can pound from anywhere.

And weigh more than the cardboard box they come in.

We picked up several old keyboards at a local "flea market" type
show for about a dollar a piece. They're also great for the kids'
computers, since they can't accidentally push the Windows key and
have the game stop/crash.

Severian

Severian wrote:
[...]
ASR33 and KSR33 had "Here is" and "Rubout" keys.

I forget what the "here is" key sent, but the "rubout" sent 0x7f, which
was used to "rub out" a character from the punch tape by punching all
of the holes.

IIRC, Here Is was hardware-programmable; I think by default it sent 20
null characters, advancing the punch a bit if engaged.
... and friends who could whistle into the accoustic coupler and make
the teletype react. (No, he couldn't get anything but random characters
to print.)

I tried a few times, but I don't think I ever got more than a
character or two.