Spreadsheet with Python scripting and database interface?

Wolfgang Keller

Hello,

I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
(third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.

Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:

MS Excel
Quattro
Lotus
OO Calc
Gnumeric
Kspread

Which ones have I forgotten?

Which ones have support for Python scripting?

Excel: I know of a module that allows to script Excel in Python from
outside (COM scripting on Windows and Applescript on MacOS are know as
well), but I don't know of any possibility to do Python scripting with
Excel itself?

OO Calc: I know that PyUNO exists, but I know nothing about what it can
actually do?

Kspread: Koffice seems to have Python scripting support, but I have no
clue what you can actually do with it?

The database interface should ideally allow to:

- map database tables, views, query results to tables/lists (with as
little programming as possible)
- allow editing of records within those tables/lists (and write back
the results)
- supply possibilities to handle relationships (via foreign keys)
between records in different tables in a user-friendly way (I have
something like hyperlinks in mind)

The database software to interface with is Postgres.

The application "should" also provide good support for naming of
cells/columns/rows/regions (including namespaces for files, sheets) and
user-defined formats.

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Calvin Spealman

You might want to look at kexi. It is KOffice's answer to MS Access,
and long a awaited contender it is. It has python scripting support
and works with databases natively.

Florian Diesch

Wolfgang Keller said:
I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
(third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.

Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:

MS Excel
Quattro
Lotus
OO Calc
Gnumeric
Kspread

Which ones have I forgotten?

Which ones have support for Python scripting?

Package: gnumeric-plugins-extra
Gnumeric ships with a number of plugins; this package contains those
plugins that require additional packages above what the 'gnumeric' package
needs.
.
This includes
o The Perl plugin
o The Python plugin
o The Python plugin loader
o Additional Python functions
o The Gnome glossary
o The gda (Gnome Database Access) plugin
o The GNOME-DB plugin

Florian

Carsten Haese

Hello,

I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
(third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.

Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:

MS Excel
Quattro
Lotus
OO Calc
Gnumeric
Kspread

Which ones have I forgotten?

Which ones have support for Python scripting?
[snip]
OO Calc: I know that PyUNO exists, but I know nothing about what it can
actually do?
[snip]

See http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html for more than
you'll ever want to know about this. In a nutshell, you can do pretty
much anything.

One thing that's not clear from your question is whether you want to
script the office from within using a macro or from the outside via
"remote control". PyUNO allows both, but Python macros are only possible
with the OpenOffice 2 scripting framework.

Hope this helps,

Carsten Haese.

Wolfgang Keller

Hello,

and thanks for your reply.
One thing that's not clear from your question is whether you want to
script the office from within using a macro or from the outside via
"remote control".

What I basically dream of is using Python as THE embedded macro
language of the spreadsheet.

Because Postgres already supports Python as a trigger/procedure
language, so I can stick with one single tool (to learn and use).
PyUNO allows both, but Python macros are only possible
with the OpenOffice 2 scripting framework.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Wolfgang Keller

o The Python plugin
o The Python plugin loader
o Additional Python functions

Do these provide the possibility to use Python as macro/scripting
language from within Gnumeric?

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller