STARTING NOTEPAD.exe from WEBPAGE

kevin.a.sweeney

I have a webpage that is on my local machine.
The page will open NOTEPAD.exe on the local machine.

My intentions is to have a JAVAscript and a form. It seems that I
have some code problems:

Can anyone help?

The code is listed below:

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
function executeCommands(inputparms)
{
// Instantiate the Shell object and invoke its execute method.

var oShell = new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application");

var commandtoRun = "C:\\WINDOWS\\Notepad.exe";
if (inputparms != "")
{
var commandParms = document.Form1.filename.value;
}

// Invoke the execute method.
oShell.ShellExecute(commandtoRun, commandParms, "", "open", "1");
}
</SCRIPT>

</HEAD>

<BODY>
<FORM name="Form1">
<CENTER>
<BR><BR>
<H1>Execute PC Commands From HTML </H1>
<BR><BR>
<File Name to Open:> <Input type="text" name="filename" size="20"/>
<BR><BR>
<input type="Button" name="Button1" value="Run Notepad.exe"
onClick="executeCommands()" />

<BR><BR>
<input type="Button" name="Button2" value="Run Notepad.exe with
Parameters" onClick="executeCommands(' + hasPARMS + ')" />
</CENTER>
</FORM>
</BODY>

</HTML>

-Lost

[...]

There are a few things wrong. However, I don't play Internet Explorer.

And as much as I hate to post this link (only because it is not viewable
via the web), here it is:

VK wrote a minimalistic "application launcher." Hence "al."

http://www.geocities.com/schools_ring/al.zip

Download that and view the HTML document within to get an idea of where
your code is going bonkers.

kevin.a.sweeney

There are a few things wrong. However, I don't play Internet Explorer.

And as much as I hate to post this link (only because it is not viewable
via the web), here it is:

VK wrote a minimalistic "application launcher." Hence "al."

http://www.geocities.com/schools_ring/al.zip

Download that and view the HTML document within to get an idea of where
your code is going bonkers.

This script works like a charm in Mozilla only, I know by you note
you don't play in IE, but is it possible to get it to work in IE as
well?

kevin

VK

On Apr 24, 6:17 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
his script works like a charm in Mozilla only, I know by you note
you don't play in IE, but is it possible to get it to work in IE as
well?

If you are talking about http://www.geocities.com/schools_ring/al.zip
then it works for any browser supporting XPCOM or WShell over ActiveX
hence any Gecko-based browser and IE>=4 (that includes Firefox, IE6,
IE7)
Obviously it requires security settings down to low - at the very
least "Ask before launching unsigned components". If current settings
are "Never launch unsigned components" then this script will be
silently disregarded, this is what is happening on your IE. My script
is targeted to specific intranet solutions with controllable security
environment. For the default Internet security environment it is
pretty much useless. For the latter case you need a full standing
XPCOM/ActiveX module signed by a valid security certificate in order
to trig security permission dialog client-side.