stream_cast fails with case insensitive string

aaragon

HI all,

The following function stream_cast works perfectly with a std::string,
but fails when I try to use my custom case insensitive string and I
don't understand why:

template <typename T, class string_type>
T stream_cast_impl(string_type& s) {

typedef typename string_type::value_type char_type;
typedef typename string_type::traits_type traits_type;

T x;
static typename std::basic_istringstream<char_type,
traits_type> iss;
iss.clear();
iss.str(s);
iss>>x;
if (!iss || iss.peek() >= 0) {
std::string err("*** ERROR *** ");
err += s.c_str();
err += " cannot be converted to expected type
with type id:\n";
err += typeid(x).name();
throw std::runtime_error(err);
}
return x;
}

template <typename T>
T stream_cast(std::string& s)
{ return stream_cast_impl<T,std::string>(s); }

template <typename T>
T stream_cast(const std::string& s)
{ return
stream_cast_impl<T,std::string>(const_cast<std::string&>(s)); }

struct ci_char_traits : public std::char_traits<char> {

static bool eq( char c1, char c2 )
{ return toupper(c1) == toupper(c2); }

static bool ne( char c1, char c2 )
{ return toupper(c1) != toupper(c2); }

static bool lt( char c1, char c2 )
{ return toupper(c1) < toupper(c2); }

static int compare(const char* s1, const char* s2, size_t n )
{ return memicmp( s1, s2, n ); }

private:
static int memicmp(const void *s1, const void *s2, size_t n) {

if (n != 0) {
const unsigned char *p1 = (const unsigned char *)s1,
*p2 = (const unsigned char *)s2;
do {
if (toupper(*p1) != toupper(*p2))
return (*p1 - *p2);
p1++;
p2++;
} while (--n != 0);
}
return 0;
}
};

typedef std::basic_string<char, ci_char_traits> ci_string;

template <typename T>
T stream_cast(ci_string& s)
{ return stream_cast_impl<T,ci_string>(s); }

template <typename T>
T stream_cast(const ci_string& s)
{ return
stream_cast_impl<T,ci_string>(const_cast<ci_string&>(s)); }

Does anyone have an idea what's happening? I get the following error
when I try to do this on an integer:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): *** ERROR *** -1 cannot be converted to expected type with
type id:

Thank you all...

a^2