Streaming Project / red5

MySpy

Hi Java-Developers,

i'm looking for a solution for the following project:

I have a Travelmoviewebsite called www.triponia.com and I'm planning
to integrate some "WebTV boxes". Currently every movie is shown by
progessive flv download over my own player.

In the "WebTV players" i plan to show a "multicast" stream depending
on a playlist. The playlist should be changeable every time without
reloading the player application. So i need a real stream, that every
person can see the same picture in the same moment.
Additionally there should be an option to show a livestream (mpeg-
stream over IP-Cam) out of a webcam.

I plan to use red5 as streaming server (http://osflash.org/red5).
I know that there are already some examples which i could modify for
my uses. But I'm only a perl programmer - not a java coder ;-)
So i need an interface which i can control over config files or other
ways from my perl application to control the current stream (setting
the playlists and configure a livestream).

Please send offers directly to my e-mail address using the same
subject. If you have any questions please reply within the newsgroup.
Thank you.

Kai

derek

Please send offers directly to my e-mail address using the same
subject. If you have any questions please reply within the
newsgroup.
Thank you.

so you are looking to hire someone? you are not asking a question on how to do it?

there are plenty of sites that allow you to hire developers for custom projects. seems kinda silly to look to hire someone from a newsgroup...

Andrew Thompson

derek wrote:
so you are looking to hire someone? you are not asking a question on how to do it?

there are plenty of sites that allow you to hire developers for custom projects. seems kinda silly to look to hire someone from a newsgroup...

I agree with the philosophy expressed in Derek's words.

OK, sorry, *derek*'s (to quote the name as the owner expresses
it) words.

BTW. A lot of people take words more seriously when the author
takes the care to express their words using Capital Letters as the
reader expects to see them. While 'posting names' such as 'derek'
are quite the norm., I would *always* recommend / 'vote for' using
Upper Case at the start of *sentences*.

MySpy

hmm... i thought i could find more professional people from a
newsgroup - especially people who have good knowledge in red5
streaming systems.

Yes - i'm looking for somebody helping me finishing the project i
explain, because i'm not a java programmer.

Andrew Thompson

derek said:
Thats funny!!!

I too, am very amused. The people here are as
professional* as every cent you are paying them. ;-)

* There are, of course, any number of extremely professional
people who post to these groups, as well as people who are
breaking new ground in software development, or theory.
They are not likely to talk to someone like you, who
apparently just wants some 'pisant' coding completed
on the cheap(est).

You want the attention of those professionals? Name
your rate/price, perhaps they will reconsider helping.
Otherwise, please stop wasting our bandwidth with your
plaintiff cries. This is not a help desk.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

MySpy

Oh.... very funny. Perhaps you didn't read my first message.
I asked for an offer (!) - I don't want something for free.
For developing i pay a hourly rate of 100 euro. I think developing the
module would not take more than 4-6 hours. I'm not looking for a
compleate solution - only a module between red5 and my perl
application.

If you are not interested you have no reason to answer. If somebody is
interested please contact me.

Roedy Green

In the "WebTV players" i plan to show a "multicast" stream depending
on a playlist. The playlist should be changeable every time without
reloading the player application. So i need a real stream, that every
person can see the same picture in the same moment.
Additionally there should be an option to show a livestream (mpeg-
stream over IP-Cam) out of a webcam.

multicasting is very tricking coding. I have one student project
that uses it. See http://mindprod.com/project/internetradio.html
Which invents a new multicast protocol.

You need to get hold of the code for a player for your various stream
protocols. Ideally it would be in Java. If C++ you then need to write
some JNI to glue it to Java. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html

Write the vendors of the servers and content creators to see what is
available. By Murphy's law, there will be nothing, just players
designed to install themselves in browsers. Now you have a very
difficult job, creating a C++ environment that looks sufficiently like
a browser for the player to install itself. Then you need JNI glue to
let Java hook into it. This is a major project, something for a very
experienced programmer.

Do so research of just what the vendors offer( perhaps consider
changing your format to a vendor with more options).

To get an idea of how tricking this is, consider that all your viewers
may have different speed lines, and each may experience temporary
outages at any time. You don't want any of them failing to hold up to
works for everyone. On the other hand, you don't want tiny delays in
network delivery to result in skipped frames and weird artifacts.

There may be documentation on how an app can control a plug-in in the
browser. I don't know how many different schemes you would have to
support.

Roedy Green

For developing i pay a hourly rate of 100 euro.

that is a princely wage today. However, I doubt such a project could
be whipped up so quickly.

It is certainly an fat enough prize to see if there is some clever way
to solve your problem.

Lew

Andrew said:
Otherwise, please stop wasting our bandwidth with your
plaintiff cries. This is not a help desk.

"Plaintiff" or "plaintive"?

(Ponder while eating plantains.)

Andrew Thompson

Lew said:
"Plaintiff" or "plaintive"?

Ahh.. the latter, actually (now I check the on-line dictionary).
Have I ever mentioned my opinion that English has too many
(f-cken) words? ;-)

Personally, I blame that bloody author, (wots'is'name?)
Shakespeare*. Made up too many damn words, then
convinced everyone else it was the 'cool' thing to do.
(Ponder while eating plantains.)

..mmmm. Plantains. Save some for me.

* Yes, I saw your reference to Willy the other day in regard
to 'Struth, and was embarrassed that Australia had adopted
a ..'Spearianism' ( Is that a real word ..or did I just (weakly)
...make that up ;)?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Andrew Thompson

MySpy said:
Oh.... very funny.

As someone who can keep their sense of humor in face of
derision and misunderstanding, I think you are *way* ahead
of most posters to these groups.
...Perhaps you didn't read my first message.
I asked for an offer (!) - I don't want something for free.

My bad. I *misread* your original message.

(shrugs) Don't have an immediate answer, but hope
you find a satisfactory resolution to the technical
problem.

(Though as an aside, it did seem to be a particularly
'easy to state - but difficult solve' type of problem.)

--

Andrew said:
Ahh.. the latter, actually (now I check the on-line dictionary).
Have I ever mentioned my opinion that English has too many
(f-cken) words? ;-)

Personally, I blame that bloody author, (wots'is'name?)
Shakespeare*. Made up too many damn words, then
convinced everyone else it was the 'cool' thing to do.

..mmmm. Plantains. Save some for me.

* Yes, I saw your reference to Willy the other day in regard
to 'Struth, and was embarrassed that Australia had adopted
a ..'Spearianism' ( Is that a real word ..or did I just (weakly)
...make that up ;)?

No worries - "'struth" precedes Shakespeare by a few centuries.

Shakespeare didn't so much invent words as write them down at a time when
English was growing its most rapidly as a language, commensurate with the
growth of England as a world-wide power, and with the growth of the arts and
theatre in England after a period of oppression.