Stretching adjacent floats

search.thing

I am trying to achieve the following but I am not sure how to:

I have two divs contained within an outer div which is constrained by
a fixed width. The inner two divs should appear alongside each other
with the left floating div stretching rightwards to fill the space not
taken up by the right floating div. The problem is I do not know the
width of the right most div as the width changes depending on content.
So the left floating div needs to stretch each time to fill the slack
space.

TIA

Neredbojias

I am trying to achieve the following but I am not sure how to:

I have two divs contained within an outer div which is constrained by
a fixed width. The inner two divs should appear alongside each other
with the left floating div stretching rightwards to fill the space not
taken up by the right floating div. The problem is I do not know the
width of the right most div as the width changes depending on content.
So the left floating div needs to stretch each time to fill the slack
space.

Float the right div in the left-floated div.

Neredbojias

Or just float the right and leave the left in normal flow.

Uh huh, that's probably better than the way I mentioned which would,
incidentally, require additional widthing. However, the solo float
right would have to be marked up before the normal-flow left div.

Jonathan N. Little

Uh huh, that's probably better than the way I mentioned which would,
incidentally, require additional widthing. However, the solo float
right would have to be marked up before the normal-flow left div.

Yes, unfortunately it's required to meet the OP's criteria.

Oh and Neredbojias, a while back you were hunting for another news
server. What did you settle upon? I been looking for a freebie text-only
because my ISP supplied with nTelos is on the fritz AGAIN. nTelos has
the flakiest service. This is posted via aiole.org seems okay, doesn't
have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

Neredbojias

Yes, unfortunately it's required to meet the OP's criteria.

Oh and Neredbojias, a while back you were hunting for another news
server. What did you settle upon? I been looking for a freebie
text-only because my ISP supplied with nTelos is on the fritz AGAIN.
nTelos has the flakiest service. This is posted via aiole.org seems
okay, doesn't have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

I, too, am using news.aioe.org (-and also don't seem to have
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.) Motzarella ?may? be working
again which is another free news provider (news.motzarella.org). I got
both of these from 'the fishmeister' who may know of others.

Jonathan N. Little

I, too, am using news.aioe.org (-and also don't seem to have
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.)

Seems to be sometimes slow on update. nTelos is fine when it works. I
can receive articles but can no longer post. They may have changed their
authorization protocol and 'forgot' to inform my ISP!
Motzarella ?may? be working
again which is another free news provider (news.motzarella.org). I got
both of these from 'the fishmeister' who may know of others.

Yeah, I was looking at that one as well. Most of the freebies are
readonly binaries that cater to a specific clientèle.

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
Yes, unfortunately it's required to meet the OP's criteria.

Oh and Neredbojias, a while back you were hunting for another news
server. What did you settle upon? I been looking for a freebie text-only
because my ISP supplied with nTelos is on the fritz AGAIN. nTelos has
the flakiest service. This is posted via aiole.org seems okay, doesn't
have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

See sig.

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
This is posted via aiole.org seems okay, doesn't
have comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html though...

So that is why I was having trouble with aiole and ciwa. There is
something odd about ciwa, Google Groups says: "You cannot post messages
because this group is only available as an archive".

aiole was too many times saying you cannot post because of a lost
connection with server and would do odd things like suddenly make the
unread messages number to be fetched disappear to zero. So I switched
back to Optus newsserver which, to use your terrific phrase (in a
related post, is "fine when it works".

Neredbojias

Seems to be sometimes slow on update.
Yep.

nTelos is fine when it works. I
can receive articles but can no longer post. They may have changed
their authorization protocol and 'forgot' to inform my ISP!

Could be. I have cable so I dunno how aioe verifies me.
Yeah, I was looking at that one as well. Most of the freebies are
readonly binaries that cater to a specific clientèle.

True, but I myself don't "do" binaries, anyway. I believe Blinky's posted
sig-link page had another news server offered but forgot the name.