Suggestions for further perl reading

Chad

Ok I have finished the Llama book and am now creating simple scripts.

My question is what should I read to further myself at this. is the
camel book the way to go or is there something better?

One of my goals(among many) is to be able to streamline my code
better(what takes me a whole screen would probably take you about 3
lines).

as always, Thank you for your time

Chad

Uri Guttman

C> Ok I have finished the Llama book and am now creating simple scripts.
C> My question is what should I read to further myself at this. is the
C> camel book the way to go or is there something better?

the new alpaca book (perl objects, references and modules) by randal
schwartz (author of the llama) is a good next step. it was written to be
a followup and it is the basis of the classes he teaches at that level.

the perl cookbook is very good. so is effective perl programming (i call
it idiomatic perl).

the camel is more a reference but you can learn plenty from it.

if you want to get into OO coding in a deep way then object oriented
perl by conway is the winner there.

perl debugged is a good book on how to write better perl programs and to
debug them effectively.

there are others too. it all depends on where you want to go. just ask
about books before you buy them. there are so many bad perl books out
there (maybe 10-20% of all perl books are decent).

uri

Gunter Schelfhout

Chad said:
Ok I have finished the Llama book and am now creating simple scripts.

My question is what should I read to further myself at this. is the
camel book the way to go or is there something better?

One of my goals(among many) is to be able to streamline my code
better(what takes me a whole screen would probably take you about 3
lines).

Well, I only go to the Amazon site for the reviews.
If I see a book that I'm interested in, I go trough these reviews.
It can give you a good clue wether the book is right for you.